1992 Eldorado Belt Size HELP! 4.9l
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 1992 Eldorado Belt Size HELP! 4.9l in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hiya! MY A/C compressor locked up on my 92 Eldo. i had to remove the belt and drive it home, ...
    theslider is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1992 Eldorado Belt Size HELP! 4.9l

Hiya! MY A/C compressor locked up on my 92 Eldo. i had to remove the belt and drive it home, LUCKLY, i was only 2 blocks away! I need to know if anyone has an idea of what belt size to use to BYPASS the A/C compressor, untill i can get it fixed...

Thanks,
    Chaz...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bob2231 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: 1992 Eldorado Belt Size HELP! 4.9l

Quote Originally Posted by theslider
    Hiya! MY A/C compressor locked up on my 92 Eldo. i had to remove the belt and drive it home, LUCKLY, i was only 2 blocks away! I need to know if anyone has an idea of what belt size to use to BYPASS the A/C compressor, untill i can get it fixed...

Thanks,
    Chaz...
    You can't bypass the compressor because of the pulley location. It would be in the way of the replacement belt.
    Bob

Caddy-chris is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I am not sure of the exact size of belt that you require to bypass the air conditioning compressor, however I know that it is quite a bit shorter than the standard belt. Rest assured that it is possible to do despite what others may tell you. I have done it, and run the car like that for several months until I bothered to relplace the A/C comp.

I you can wait until sunday afternoon, I can let you know the belt size (kept mine as a spare) when I swing by the shop.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy-chris
    I am not sure of the exact size of belt that you require to bypass the air conditioning compressor, however I know that it is quite a bit shorter than the standard belt. Rest assured that it is possible to do despite what others may tell you. I have done it, and run the car like that for several months until I bothered to relplace the A/C comp.

I you can wait until sunday afternoon, I can let you know the belt size (kept mine as a spare) when I swing by the shop.

Chris
    You're right Chris, anything is possible. Whether it's advisable or not is a seperate issue. Since there's quite a bit more involved with this than just switching belts, make sure you run down all the things he'll have to do to keep from trashing the entire system. That's why I gave him the overly simplistic answer in the first place.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob2231
    You're riht Chris, anything is possible. Whether it's advisable or not is a seperate issue. Since there's quite a bit more involved with this than just switching belts, make sure you run down all the things he'll have to do to keep from trashing the entire system. That's why I gave him the overly simplistic answer in the first place.
    Bob
    Just outta curiousity bob, How would it trash the system? does it make the motor rotate differnt? im confused..
    thanks
    chaz..

Just outta curiousity bob, How would it trash the system? does it make the motor rotate differnt? im confused..
    thanks
    chaz..
    These cars weren't available without A\C. That's why parts stores need to know the belt length you need. If you look at the location of the compressor, you'll see that you can't just go with a shorter belt and bypass that pulley. You need to remove the compressor. Plug all the lines, remove the fuses, make sure the wiring is out of the way etc. And most likely, you just need the clutch replaced in the comp.
    Why not just wait a few weeks while it's still fairly cold out, save up a few bucks each week, and have it fixed right ?
    Bob

These cars weren't available without A\C. That's why parts stores need to know the belt length you need. If you look at the location of the compressor, you'll see that you can't just go with a shorter belt and bypass that pulley. You need to remove the compressor. Plug all the lines, remove the fuses, make sure the wiring is out of the way etc. And most likely, you just need the clutch replaced in the comp.
    Why not just wait a few weeks while it's still fairly cold out, save up a few bucks each week, and have it fixed right ?
    Bob
    Does the compressor have to come off to install the new clutch?

also, my pulley is locked up and i can move it up and down. its all loose.. you think its just the clutch?

thanks
    chaz.

Does the compressor have to come off to install the new clutch?

also, my pulley is locked up and i can move it up and down. its all loose.. you think its just the clutch?

thanks
    chaz.
    You'll need to pull the comp. to remove the clutch, and you need a puller for that. Lots of parts stores will loan you one.
    If things were working right, and you're sure the clutch froze suddenly, that's most likely the problem. Some of the bearings tend to let go all at once. I really think I'd take it into an A\C shop and have it fixed before I got into bypassing anything. That opens a can of worms that's more involved than it seems.
    Bob

You'll need to pull the comp. to remove the clutch, and you need a puller for that. Lots of parts stores will loan you one.
    If things were working right, and you're sure the clutch froze suddenly, that's most likely the problem. Some of the bearings tend to let go all at once. I really think I'd take it into an A\C shop and have it fixed before I got into bypassing anything. That opens a can of worms that's more involved than it seems.
    Bob
    Any Hints or helpful tip on removing the AC compressor?? Looks like you have to be plasticman to bend around and get to it..

thanks
    chaz.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.