HT4100 Check In
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, HT4100 Check In in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; If you drive an HT4100 powered cadillac, post pics, reliability, when/how many problems you had, and how many times something ...
    caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

HT4100 Check In

If you drive an HT4100 powered cadillac, post pics, reliability, when/how many problems you had, and how many times something has gone wrong the engine. etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Re: HT4100 Check In

I have a free HT4100 laying in my garage. It has a blown headgasket and a wiped cam. For free to those who are *insert smart assed remark here* enough to want it.

I can post a pic of what's left of it should one feel so inclined to see it.

CoupeDevilleRob is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1983 Coupe deVille

Something tells me you're gonna have a hard time giving that thing away. If someone had a free factory rebuilt HT 4100 I'd be hesitant about taking it. If/when mine goes it's Olds 350 time.

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Quote Originally Posted by CoupeDevilleRob
    Something tells me you're gonna have a hard time giving that thing away. If someone had a free factory rebuilt HT 4100 I'd be hesitant about taking it. If/when mine goes it's Olds 350 time.

Right now it's being used as a model for the exhaust setup for my turbocharger project. The exhaust manifold patterns are the same on the heads. It's kind of an out-of-car model for the engine that's in the car now so I can get a decent idea of the welds and all...

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

:::Big Block Cad....Big Block Cad.....:::

if not, then an Olds 455 man...

tho any Olds is keeping it in the family..... if you wanted a SBO, I'd run a 403

CadiJeff is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1981 CoupeDeville, 2 1990 Eldorados, 1994ETC ,1992STS

mmmmmm......BBcad......Olds455......Drooooool

on subject
    had an 87 deville only issues were repeated replacement of water pump and alternator as well as ac line failure

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

If/when mine goes it's Olds 350 time.
    Why that? It seems like there are so many better eliglible engines. 500/472/425/455/403/350/LT1

there is another option you could always get a 4.5 tbi engine and swap crank liners heads and manifolds or get really creative at a machine shop and do the same guts swap with a 4.9 and use an after market controller for the pfi it would be unique and look really close to stock.
    hey it's an idea

Leeb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): did this once... 86 Deville, 86 300E, 78 R100rs

Talking Re: HT4100 Check In

Hey Illumina!

Please post that pic!
    If it's anywhere better than the stripped-out block I've got, I'd like it!

How much do you think it would cost to ship it to Palm Spgs CA?

('Smart-assed remark aplication' = DESPARATE)

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

Back on topic.

1987 Deville, HT-4100, 50,990 miles. Runs fine, no issues.

At 19,000, A/C stopped working, repaired at 43,000 after compressor seized. $940

At 36,000, lost the intake gaskets. $650

At 46,000, replaced alternator $150

The lady who owned the car before me never had the antifreeze changed until the intake gaskets were replaced. Other than routine maintenance and tuneups, that's it for expensive issues in almost 20 years.

tallpat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1986 Coupe Deville

I own a 1986 Coupe Deville with the 4.1 .This was a family car that my father-in-law purchased new. I have driven this car when it was new a few times, it has been passed down to me after it was worn out. I have replaced the brakes, shocks, drive axles and rack & pinion, because they were OE that's about 18 years all oe. that isn't so bad. the engine was well maintained over the years.
    at 134,00 miles I just finished replacing the intake gasket, and it's running very smooth.

I love Caddy's I have owned several over the years but this one is special and I am keeping it to pass down to my daughter.

I have all the paperwork and repair manuals for the 4.1, its not really a bad engine, like all engines it needs to be maintained. there are special things these engine require, like the coolant tablets. don't let anyone tell you that you don't need them. they are important. don't skimp on cheap gaskets buy the best do the job once God knows it takes hard work to replace them.

Tallpat

lochenjons is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1985 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'elegance - 1969 Coupe DV

i have an 85 fleetwood with 106,xxx miles on it. original engine, original transmission, original paint, original everything. nothing (except minor things like wiper delay and parking lamps) has been replaced or rebuilt. i did add some flowmasters though . anyways I have never had a problem with the engine other than the lack of power...

recently i have noticed that once in a while i will hear a noise like someone is dragging their nails across a chalkboard coming from under the hood. usually right after i start the car on a cold start. has only happened twice and ive had the car for 4 months.

other than that, great car! just needs a better engine!

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Probably a squeeling belt. Check to make sure they're all tight, if not, simply loosen the accessory and pry outward to achieve desired tension and retighten.

AllCads is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

My first experience with a 4.1L was in an 87' Deville. That thing was the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen in my life. Ran fine on a couple test drives, the car looked great. The thing was possessed or something. I got so pissed off at that car I called a guy in the newspaper to get it out of the driveway. I thought about sticking a rag out of the gas tank and burning the thing to the ground.

Second 4.1L completely different story. 84' Eldorado looked like hell when I got and ran like a champ tell I sold it. Fluid changes, filters, a couple hoses, an ISC and it ran probably the best a 4.1L could ever run. Great car when done. Ironically the first generations where the ones I was told were real problematic. Wish I still had it but I did need the money.

Third one 84' Seville still have. Good for what it is. Nothing has had to be changed or messed with. Rarely drive it. Hard to after you have drove around in some of the more powerful Cadillacs. Really just wanted the body. May try to get crazy with it. Always loved that body. It is my favorite cadillac design of all time. At least the extrior.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.