HT4100 Check In - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, HT4100 Check In in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Steely i hear ya, damn brakes are on the annoying side. wish they would be more consistent and solid to ...
    MrDobin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1985 Cadillac Seville Elegante

Re: HT4100 Check In

Steely i hear ya, damn brakes are on the annoying side. wish they would be more consistent and solid to the feel. but still work as needed.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

The 4100 is a small engine, like 249 cubic inches, so it can't be expected to be too zippy.

The brakes might do better with a smaller bore master cylinder, or a better vacuum pump. I see that Summit Racing has an electric pump for cars with big cams & low vacuum. Maybe my car needs one of those in place of the original POS.

Yea who has some tips on a better cylinder bore etc?. Damn thing is annoying. Inconsistent or soft pedal is not pleasant. It functions but good god. Also who can tell me how tight the brake cable needs to be?. Mine is loose and not clamping down and I dont wanna F*** something up by adjusting the line nut.

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!

Maybe I'm wrong here, but the brakes seem fine in my 84 Eldo.

I stand corrected. I need to replace the governor now or at least tune up the TV cable. its shooting through the roof in rpms. But given the no stopping of acceleration i think its the governor.

Caddycrown_Hollywood is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade, 1985 Seville Elegante

Quote Originally Posted by AllCads View Post
    Really just wanted the body. May try to get crazy with it. Always loved that body. It is my favorite cadillac design of all time. At least the extrior.
    It's funny you mentioned it!
    I own an '85 Seville and I like that body too, very unique and flashy. People who have never seen that body before get surprised when they realize it's a Cadillac. I remember when I got it back in 2001 I used to catch every movie with that car in it ("Last Boyscout" anyone? lol).
    The engine though it's a different story. Quite thirsty and very low horsepower but with good potential once you put your hands on it a little. The interiors are just as comfortable as they look, although not the largest leg room. Handling...well...it is a Caddy...from 1985...but sometimes I do miss turning those wheels with the tip of my fingers! At some point between 200K miles and 205 the Climate Unit Control went bizarre as it was switching AC on and off on its own, a la' Christine
    The building materials are not the best either, with cracks here and there on the dash, plus weird squicky and plasticky noises at every pot hole.
    The saddest part is..not even the seats are made of real leather! Ah the 80s....

lev
    lev is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Man it's sad.

I love the way Cadillac cars looked in the 80s, but the stories I hear both IRL and here on this board kill whatever desire I have to get those cars. Why does such a beautiful car have to have a piece of shit engine like that?

If you can't get it at a steal the maintenance isn't worth it. Unless its a hobby.

Driving like an old man helps too.

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

The HT4100 in my 83 Eldo. sets me back into the seat at WOT just fine. Its no Vette but it's still a thrill to launch onto the interstate. Brakes stop smooth and straight. At 45k miles no major work has been performed on engine. Water pump replacement is currently in process.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

I know what you mean Cadman. Mine runs good as far as power is concerned, when the systems are working OK, and I know it will beat my pickup with the V6 without doubt. I don't punish it, for obvious reasons, but I don't baby it either.
    I really enjoy driving it, and it corners better than most cars I've owned.
    Maybe a 3.8 turbo V6 Buick Grand National engine is the answer.

Mr Dobin asked about adjusting the parking brake cable. I just looked in my factory manual about that, and it says how to replace all the cables etc, then it just says "adjust cable" (??) Myself, I would adjust it tight enough, but without having it pull the cable out of the housings at the rear wheels. A bit of masking tape around the cable at the housing should give an indication of when the cable starts to move out of the housing(s).

Yea. Thats all I could gather from the manual or online as well. I need to relube the rear anyways the pistons are delaying in their movement, but the line is obviously lose given theres little change when i hit it in idle to test.

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!

Thank you post 69 and 70, I needed that!

You’re welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Caddycrown_Hollywood View Post
    The building materials are not the best either, with cracks here and there on the dash, plus weird squicky and plasticky noises at every pot hole.
    The saddest part is..not even the seats are made of real leather! Ah the 80s....
    I agree about the plastic trim. On my 83 Eldo the silver had rubbed off of all the dash trim.
    I just bought a gilding kit for 20 bucks and applied new silver leaf to it, Looks great now.
    The squeaks I cured by Appling a little dab of clear silicon to each of the trim screws careful not to over tighten and break any of the plastic trim.
    Funny through...my owners manual covers maintenance on the leather as if real! Looks real too! Nice and soft pillow top seats. The build sheet from under the rear seat says leather as well. Huh...
    I have a dash cover protecting the padded dash and treat it reg to prevent cracking. Sunlight dries out and kills dash pads as well as padded roofs. Maintenance is the key.

Texan4Life is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Deville w/ 250,000 mi

1990 deville 4.5l pfi, 218,000 miles

No major internal work for either engine or trans.

Racking my brain:

water pump, alternator, radiator, front struts, front springs, front strut bearings, converted to r134a (ice cold), new air diverter valve (new, $550 from gm, cuz junk yards were out) new exhaust check valves (protect the diverter valve and most likely the reason the old one failed), new front brake lines (rubber was falling off the old ones, no leaks tho), rotors, and calipers, all 4 wheel bearings, both drive shafts, fuel pump, trunk pull down motor,

and I haven't done it yet but it needs a new EGR valve.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.