HT4100 Check In - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, HT4100 Check In in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My '87 Seville has the 4100 in it and has 172000 miles and hasn't given me any problems. I have ...
    87 seville 15300 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Seville

Smile Re: HT4100 Check In

My '87 Seville has the 4100 in it and has 172000 miles and hasn't given me any problems. I have however kept the maintenance up on it. It had it's engine replaced at 100,000 miles because it was 13 years old and was acting tired and the trans rebuilt at that time but since than the motor has been just fine. Hasn't given me one problem.

montsb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1987 Sedan DeVille

Re: HT4100 Check In

Hey 87 Seville! Thanks for your response! This form had not had any newish post...hoping it was not dead. Is the "knocking" noise that everyone of us knows is there...is that rod knock or main bearings? I think on my '86 Sedan DeVille Cad I had, it was more of a main bearing deal. The Chevy dealer that did my engine swap said that crank had lots of wear and the main bearings were shot. I am excited about possibly getting this '87 Sedan DeVille Cadillac! Think I will like it much better than my 87 Honda Accord DX... I HOPE... If I can get it for $400.00, for a car that drives well and the interior is in good shape, isn't that a pretty good deal?

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

I bought an 85 Deville with only 48,000 miles for $1100 from California. Might be better to spend $700 more and get a super low mileage model. Just keep an eye out on eBay. They go for peanuts.

devin021691@aol.com is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

i own a 1985 cadillac seville with ht4100. i often get code 39 and was wandering if the prom could be the problem? the engine runs great and has about 138,000, but of course it lacks power. i was wandering if there is an engine that would fit perfect without drilling new engine mounts and it is fule injected?

conoran grizz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a yellow 84 Eldorado that I just love; however, every year when it becomes emissions inspection time it costs me about $150 to pass the state's test. No engine check lite or codes. High carbon monoxide readings each time. The only emissions item I haven't replaced is the injectors. Shure could use som e help.

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

Monoxide levels are a product of burning, and reduced by the catalytic converter. If you have high hydrocarbon levels, then you're running rich or burning deposits. If you have low hydrocarbon levels, I'd suspect the cat.

conoran grizz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

HT4100 Emissions Problems. I have a 1984 Eldorado that is giving me fits. The car displays no malfunction codes yet the carbon monoxide level is too high and fails our (Arizona) state's emission test. Does anyone know where I can get a comprehensive vacuume hose diagram.

The emissions sticker and the service manual do not go to the level required to verify all the hose routing.

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

The one redeeming feature of the Chilton books are the diagrams.

rootercycles is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Deville with 4.1

I bought a 1985 Deville a couple of weeks ago for my son who loves the car. Since then, I have replaced all brake lines, fuel tank, sending unit, fuel pump and rear tires. I still get a few codes, but I think I can work them out as I go.

Nickatina is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fltwd (26k mi) 1981 Fltwd (90'd) 1985 Fltwd

Quote Originally Posted by noahsdad View Post
    benzilla -
    that color on your cdv - cotillion white is it? Reminds me of a guy who came in to buy a lincoln mark v at a dealer i worked at back in the 70s. When the salesman asked him what color he wanted, he said...

"white like a virgin, or red like a former virgin."

MrDobin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1985 Cadillac Seville Elegante

Have an 85 Seville. Only engine issues this far have been coolant leaks I fixed and a blown water pump. Water pump failure was a terror to get to the garage must say. Other than brake rebuild on the rear from sitting over a year its a champ. I have that " deisel knock" sound off and on but high grade gas seems to clear it up. Only 98k on it

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Check your EGR valve. It's probably stuck. Replace it if the underside diaphram doesn't move smoothly.

MrDobin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1985 Cadillac Seville Elegante

I had a hunch it was. Its certainly not a piston or engine sound.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

The HT4100 is a trip. I've replace so many things on the engine and the car that I lost track. I do keep all receipts, but I'm afraid to add them up. If I really didn't like the way it drives I would likely have scrapped it. It's a FWD Fleetwood. The brakes have never been what I would call good. I replaced all the lines, rotors, calipers, drums, wheel cylinders, booster, and master cylinder. Not much left to replace. A hydro-boost system is what it needs, with the low vacuum these engines have. Also have a rebuilt vacuum pump. The stereo works good though!! It's a Pioneer that I interfaced into the original Bose system.

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!

I just bought an 84 Eldo with 79,000 miles on it. The valve cover has a GM Remanufactured stamped on it. The car is smooth, quiet, gets good MPG but it's not the most powerful V8 I've ever driven.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.