HT4100 Check In - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, HT4100 Check In in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My 4.1 on my 87 deville runs awesome. I drive the hell out of it and smoke everyone on the ...
    caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

Re: HT4100 Check In

My 4.1 on my 87 deville runs awesome. I drive the hell out of it and smoke everyone on the street everyday (don't streetrace, you know what i mean). I put a 4.9 oil pump in it, and just keep up with the maintenance. Same story with my dads 87 caddy, drove it like that for 10 years, and just recently the original tranny blew at 180,000 miles on the new owner.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

AllCads--

If you really like that body style of Seville, you should find a 1980 or 1981 model with the 368 engine (you can disconnect the V8-6-4 if you want on the 1981 if it isn't already).

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Quote Originally Posted by caddeville View Post
    I drive the hell out of it and smoke everyone on the street everyday .

New rings might help....

caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

HA HA HA......! You are sooooo funny. No joke here, my 4100 has more power than a stock 4.5, i played with an 89 eldorado already, some young kid from a different school, we were side by side, i was about a quarter car lenght ahead of him and he was stepping on it. The ass of the 89 dragged like no other.

aliter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1986 DeVille Touring Sedan 65K

86 Deville Touring here with 50K. A/C leak continues to be a problem...and the compressor was replaced a few years back. Code says refrigerant low. My grandfather bought the car new and he had perpetual A/C leak issues starting after it was a few years old with only 10,000 miles!

Over a 2 year period from 18,000 miles to about 48,000 miles the following happened to me: The engine has blown multiple gaskets, and they weren't replaced properly so it happened again within a few months and then again! Of course, nothing beats slowly coasting down the street (ignition cut off at first sign of the oil light) into the front turnaround (closest place) of the Hyatt Regency hotel in an 86 Caddy that is billowing acrid smoke and leaving an oil slick for a block!! Now repeat that 3 times in different places. Thats what improper service will do to this engine!

Then the oil pump and alternator also went in the process. You HAVE to find a mechanic who knows how to work on this engine (and I haven't found one yet in the Metro NYC area...suggestions anyone??!!...within 50 miles of NYC ha ha). Gone through an obligatory water pump, of course. And then one of the pulleys in the belt drive system broke (which ate the belt, of course). Now my little electric vacuum pump (under LH front fender for accessories and brake assist) sounds like its about to drop dead on me, and the part is COMPLETELY unavailable from what I can find.

The transmission has been noisy and gradually going, so I am just replacing the engine and transmission with fully updated, remanufactured to get a fresh start in a car that looks brand new and get a 3yr warranty. I am going back to driving this car full-time, including highway trips, and I want to try to limit how well my tow-truck drivers know me by name!

This car sat completely un-driven for more than 5 years until I took it over, and sitting around did it no good. Plus my well-meaning grandfather believed in following MILEAGE intervals for service instead of TIME intervals. Meaning that since he only put 18,000 miles on the car in 15 years that it STILL wasn't ready for a service, yet??!!?? I think this low-mileage car, "perfect" Caddy would have fared better if my grandfather could have driven it and serviced it properly every now and then. Probably this is the fate of many lower mileage Caddy's from the 80's...improper maintenance and limited use.

86cadman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, 1998 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

I have a 1986 Sedan DeVille. the HT1400 in it has ran wonderful. In fact I've had to replace the Master Cylinder, Radiator, Gas Tank, and Fuel Sending unit but haven't had to do ANY engine work.

Not bad for a car that sat in the driveway for 6 years. Also, took it on a 7 hour drive the other day, I got 26.5 MPG avg, at about 65 mph. I'm impressed.

chromecad83 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1983 caddy Fleetwood Brougham

Hi I have an 83 cadillac fleetwood brougham with the HT4100. I have had it for about 4 years now. I changed all the fluids consistantly and did my best to keep it up. I put in a new thermostat, belts, all fluids, new exhaust system, fuel pump. I drove it everyday and loved it except for the tremendous lack of power. It wasn't the fastest car on the block, but it sure rode better, and looked better than any other car on my block. Recently the transmission went which I have posted about recently. Like said before I drove home with no problems. However, when I tried to leave that night I had no drive gears. I shifted into drive, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd but there was nothing. I don't know what happened but reverse works perfectly. As for the engine besides lack of power it ran fine. It still does today and my car has 110,715 miles on it. I used the coolant pellets like others have said and I haven't had any problems. I strongly recomend using them to ensure this engine will last awhile. So now the car sits waiting for either someone to buy it or repair it because I am going to look for a new caddy. Its in good shape except for the tranny. If anyone would like to buy it you can email me at maddog2721@verizon.net. I think $1,000 should be a fair price. I do have money in this car and thats all I'm trying to get back. I also installed a whole new stereo system. It is a 208W sony deck with 280W speakers. In the trunk there is a matching 1000W amp with twin 10" 1,100W subs. SHE CRANKS PRETTY GOOD!!!! It is a interesting story on how I got the car but I will save that for another time.

93DevilleUSMC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)

My first car was a 1987 Cadillac SedanDeville that my father had bought from a retired Navy radioman. This thing was only in working condition for two of the four months I owned it. It had every electrical issue known to man when I first bought it. The positive side of it was the car's EXTREMELY smooth ride and high level of comfort. Unfortunately, my radiator hose exploded one morning and the engine overheated. Dad couldn't afford a new engine, so he scrapped the car.

myway-one is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac1983 fleetwood 1983 delegance

Cool Re: HT4100 Check In

Hi Guys,
    Just purchased a 1983 sedan deville with the ht4100 motor, love the car did i make a mistake with that engine? Runs a little weird dealer says he changed the fuel injection unit and now its fine?? seems to be lacking power to maintain 70 mph on highway.any suggestions?

Pckstude is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Recently I purchased a hearse built off a 1984 DeVille 2dr. It sat for seven years and started right up after a little gas down the throttle body. It now starts and runs just fine, even on 7 year old gas. After all that time of sitting in a garage and never being moved, there was not a drop of anything on the floor. Not one drop of antifreeze, engine oil, or tranny fluid.
    I had heard a lot of horror stories about these engines, but I've heard that there are some good running ones too.
    Of course my work is cut out for me on this car by replacing anything rubber in the engine compartment, which includes all the belts. The tires look like they are in great shape with no cracks and still holding air after all that time. But those will get replaced too as I've been told that they could come apart due simply to age.

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

1983 Coupe De Ville. 95% original, 49,000 miles. No problems at all in two years and 4,000 miles. Very reliable car if you don't beat the shit out of it!

Pckstude is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Nice car. White is a good rich looking color.

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

Benzilla -
    That is one sweet CDV.

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

Thanks. Oh, I forgot the engine shot! duh...

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

Benzilla -
    That color on your CDV - Cotillion white is it? Reminds me of a guy who came in to buy a Lincoln Mark V at a dealer I worked at back in the 70s. When the salesman asked him what color he wanted, he said...

"White like a virgin, or red like a former virgin."

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.