Cracked Manifold
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Cracked Manifold in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Sup guys ... I have a problem with my Deville 94. My manifold have a little "scratch" and I need ...
    Dieslow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Deville 1998

Cracked Manifold

Sup guys ... I have a problem with my Deville 94. My manifold have a little "scratch" and I need to replace it. I'd like to know if it is possible to fix it instead 'cause it's pretty expansive (800$can + install) ! IS it possible to do some sort of "welding" on it ?

Thanks for your answers you guys are awesome !

Peace !!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Re: Cracked Manifold

How little is little? Got any pics you could post of the manifold in question?

Sorry ! I didn't even think about posting a picture ... i'll poste 2 and if you want more just tell me !

Thanks a lot !
    Attached Images

growe3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS and 2004 DTS

Any decent welding shop should be able to do it

I have fixed quite a few in worse shape than yours.

1. The manifold should be glass or sand blasted clean.

2. Drill 1/8" holes at the ends of the cracks (this is called "stop drilling") to prevent the crack from lengthening when being welded.

3. Use a porting or similar tool, to grind a groove along the crack(s).

4. Preheat manifold in an oven at 450 degrees for about 30 minutes.

5. Remove to welding area and arc weld with NI rod. Weld about an inch, then change locations and weld another inch. This helps avoid overheating.

6. When finished bury in clean sand and allow to cool for several hours.

7. Have the manifold mounting surface blanch ground to provide a flat true surface.

-George

Would this be less expansive than buying a new one ?! IT seems pretty long and hard job to do ...

Thanks again !!

Peace !

growe3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS and 2004 DTS

While the welding process sounds a little complicated, it is a very straight foreword procedure for a professional welder, not the guy at a corner muffler shop. Seek out a professional welder or a business that does machine repairs.

I would expect to pay about $75-$100 for the welding and $20 for the flange grinding. Much less than the $800 you mentioned for a replacement manifold.

Perhaps a better alternative would be getting one from a wrecking yard, if one is available.

-George

Last thing I need to know ... does a cracked manifold influence on the fuel economy or not ?! Thanks again !

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by Dieslow
    Last thing I need to know ... does a cracked manifold influence on the fuel economy or not ?! Thanks again !
    It could. The exhaust system has both positive and negative pressure pulses traveling inside. The negative pulses can (and will) pull air into the exhaust system which will throw off the O2 sensors. If the O2 sensors see the air being pulled in then it will cause the sytem to richen up to compensate which could adversely affect the fuel economy.

The real concern with a cracked manifold is the possiblity of CO intrusion into the passenger compartment. With exhaust leaking into the engine compartment it can be picked up at the cowl vent and sucked into the HVAC system. CO poisoning is a real threat and a real reason to have the manifold crack repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by bbob
    It could. The exhaust system has both positive and negative pressure pulses traveling inside. The negative pulses can (and will) pull air into the exhaust system which will throw off the O2 sensors. If the O2 sensors see the air being pulled in then it will cause the sytem to richen up to compensate which could adversely affect the fuel economy.

The real concern with a cracked manifold is the possiblity of CO intrusion into the passenger compartment. With exhaust leaking into the engine compartment it can be picked up at the cowl vent and sucked into the HVAC system. CO poisoning is a real threat and a real reason to have the manifold crack repaired.

Alright !! I'll have it fix Monday !
    Thanks a lot for your precious help !

Peace !

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Go to www.car-part.com and do a search. When I had a 4.9, I would just order the manifolds from one of the listings for about $25-30 each. No welding, no fuss, no muss.
    You may also want to check the rear manifold too. They're usually no too far behind the front one on cracking.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.