88 eldo 4.5, changed the intake gasket yesterday!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 88 eldo 4.5, changed the intake gasket yesterday!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Just wanted to let people know i changed my intake manifold gasket yesterday, yes, it was fun. If anyone has ...
    double0bondo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cool 88 eldo 4.5, changed the intake gasket yesterday!!

Just wanted to let people know i changed my intake manifold gasket yesterday, yes, it was fun. If anyone has any questions on the procedure, maybe I can be of some help, as a note, the single hardest thin i had to do was remove the danr distributor hold down nut...could they make it any harder to get to?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 88 eldo 4.5, changed the intake gasket yesterday!!

Quote Originally Posted by double0bondo
    Just wanted to let people know i changed my intake manifold gasket yesterday, yes, it was fun. If anyone has any questions on the procedure, maybe I can be of some help, as a note, the single hardest thin i had to do was remove the danr distributor hold down nut...could they make it any harder to get to?

Actually, they COULD have made it harder to get to If the gov't/EPA had had their way the distributor would have been welded into the block to prevent tampering. No joke!

bitdcc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

What were the symptom that led to the gasket replacement and did you use the factory or aftermarket gasket??

Talking Re: 88 eldo 4.5, changed the intake gasket yesterday!!

hi! well, i used an aftermarket gasket, so far its done the trick, the reason for the replacement was the fact coolant was pouring out in between the the (head-block-manifold) corner in the rear of the engine. the job was pretty involved as far as time wise. the only trouble i had was when i removed one of the rocker arm piviots, i apparently loosened it improperly and it broke, but the dealer had them in stock, it was like 7 bucks thankfully

bitdcc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Re: 88 eldo 4.5, changed the intake gasket yesterday!!

Thanks.. I will go with the felpro.. The caddy dealer here claimed the intake part# was obsolete and costly anyway....

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

When you remove/install the rocker arms on the 4.1, 4.5 or 4.9 remove the ENTIRE ROCKER ARM SUPPORT BAR ASSEMBLY at one time. DO NOT remove the individual pivots. Take the 5 large nuts off the stud headed head bolts (and the four small bolts on the projections from the bar) that hold the aluminum rocker arm support bar down and just remove the entire bar, rocker arms, etc. at one time. Removing the individual pivot bolts will strip the bolt holes and/or break the pivots. The system is designed to be removed/installed as one assembly by turning the 5 large hold down nuts in sequence.

i wish i knew that then good info, thanks!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.