Motor oil brand
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Motor oil brand in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; What brand of motor oil do you use in your Cadillac? Also what do you think of Wal-Mart SuperTech oil ...
    gtm245 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Motor oil brand

What brand of motor oil do you use in your Cadillac? Also what do you think of Wal-Mart SuperTech oil and filters?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Motor oil brand

Mobil one 10w30 in winter
    Any name brand like Quaker State, or Penzoil 10w30 in summer.

carnerd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I never trust quaker state i bought it 1 time and when i poured it in it looked used... never will I buy again

Quote Originally Posted by carnerd
    I never trust quaker state i bought it 1 time and when i poured it in it looked used... never will I buy again
    I've never seen dirty-looking QS, but Texaco looks dark when you pour it new!! I wonder if the darker color could be because of additives and detergents they put in them?

100 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)

Pennzoil 10W30! But it may not be very good for winter use...

TimsToy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by 100
    Pennzoil 10W30! But it may not be very good for winter use...
    Why would that be?

Right now I use Pennzoil 10W30 year round. Should I use 5W30 in winter? (it sometimes gets to -5 to -10 F where I live) When I start it when its that cold it seems to take forever to get the thick 10W30 flowing well. Also, who makes SuperTech oil? Its API SL rated and GF-3 rated so it has to be a good quality oil.

(does anyone remember the Consumer Reports magazine test where they tested all brands of oil and they found the cheap "house brand" to be every bit as good as the more expensive Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Valvoline, ect...)

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

The DeVille only gets Mobil 1 10W-30

the Olds (winter car) get's 98cent/quart (or $4 for a gallon ) of Advance Oil brand 10W-30

both get AC Delco filters..... the DeVille gets the oil changed every 5k miles adn the Olds is 3-5k......whenever I feel like doing it....

100 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)

Quote Originally Posted by TimsToy
    Why would that be?
    Well, as gtm245 described, it seems it is a bit too thick when
    it is very cold. Owner's manual says that I can use 5W30 when
    temperature drops below 0 F, but I feel Pennzoil 10W30 gets
    too thick below 10 F or so. You can hear difference when you
    start in the morning... That's why.

When I start my DeVille in the morning when the temperature is less than 10 F it seems to idle higher than normal and is really quite loud until about 45 seconds to 1 minute later it starts to gradually quiet down and lower its idle RPM. (It kinda aggravates me cause my brother has a Ford Taurus with 5W30 in it and while I'm starting my car and it sounds bad for the minute or so, he just starts his car effortlessly and its quiet and smooth as silk.)

Also, when its usually 5 F or less, the power steering system moans so freaking loud I can barely here the engine. That takes FOREVER to stop moaning loudly. But that doesn't worry me as much as the engine during the 30 seconds or so after I start it after its been sitting all night and its 5 F out. Does anyone know of a good regular (dino) 10W30 oil that they run in the cold winter months. Right now I don't think the Pennzoil 10W30 I'm running is the way I should go when its this cold out.

Quote Originally Posted by 100
    Well, as gtm245 described, it seems it is a bit too thick when
    it is very cold. Owner's manual says that I can use 5W30 when
    temperature drops below 0 F, but I feel Pennzoil 10W30 gets
    too thick below 10 F or so. You can hear difference when you
    start in the morning... That's why.
    Ya, isn't Penzoil what's called a "multi-viscosity" type oil that does get thicker with temp increases, but I also thought it got thinner or stayed the specified viscosity when it was colder out?

I've had no grinding with Quaker state, but if it is that cold you might try 5w30, up to you.

carnerd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

thats what the # on the bottle means... 5w 30 = 5 vescosity when warm and 30 when cold (or do i have them mixed up?)

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Mixed up. 5w (5 viscosity winter) 30 (viscosity when hot)

I think any SL rated and GF-3 certified oil is as good as another. To me I don't see gaining any engine life by using Castrol GTX, Havoline, or even synthetics over cheap oil like SuperTech or Advance Auto brand (as long as the cheap oil is SL and GF-3 rated). Anyway what do all of you think of this theory? Why spend twice as much money on a motor oil thats rated the same as the house brands? So if its SL and GF-3 rated I think it's good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by gtm245
    I think any SL rated and GF-3 certified oil is as good as another. To me I don't see gaining any engine life by using Castrol GTX, Havoline, or even synthetics over cheap oil like SuperTech or Advance Auto brand (as long as the cheap oil is SL and GF-3 rated). Anyway what do all of you think of this theory? Why spend twice as much money on a motor oil thats rated the same as the house brands? So if its SL and GF-3 rated I think it's good to go.
    I think that even though the cheap oil may be as good as a more expensive one, people like to use the brands they have before (brand loyality), and trust. It's just like why not buy an Avalanche instead of an Escalade EXT? Aren't they basically the same vehicle, but people want the NAME. Also, you can buy that recycled oil in the green bottles, they are the same price as first-hand cheap dino oil, yet everyone buys the NEW cheap oil. There is always a lot of that Eco Oil on the shelves at Wallmart. The only reason I use synthetic in the winter is because of the advertized flow rates in severe cold weather. If syn oil did not flow any better than dino, I would just use dino.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.