Motor oil brand - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Motor oil brand in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; synthetic was made for aviation? IIRC the oil we use in the planes I fly (Cessna 152) are regular oil ...
    Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Re: Motor oil brand

synthetic was made for aviation? IIRC the oil we use in the planes I fly (Cessna 152) are regular oil (not sure on the weight) and the oil temp is similar rage of a car..... air cooled engine....

I keep trying to tell my father that Castrol Syntec (not the synthetic blend, but the "full synthetic" accordig to them) is not very good, andisn't a real synthetic oil..... and that Mobil 1 is better, he dosn't listen to me... is there anything I can show him online to prove this?

gtm245 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Motor oil brand

Look online for a court case where one of the major oil brands took Castrol to court because they were marketing Syntec as a synthetic which it truely is not. It is a group III base oil which is refined using petroleum base stocks. I'm not sure but I think it was Mobil that took Castrol to court because Mobil 1 uses PAO based base stocks which do not come from petroleum at all. They felt cheated because it costs a great deal more money to make a PAO based oil than a group III oil and then Castrol would also take some of the market share for an oil thats not even a synthetic. Tell your dad if he wants to save a load of cash and still get the same protection, maybe even better, use Chevron Supreme which is also a group III oil. But since they don't feel the need to cheat the public, they market it as a dino oil and sell it for about $1.09. Or like you said, you could use the Mobil 1 which is probably better than the Syntec and costs roughly the same.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.