Motor oil brand - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Motor oil brand in Cadillac Engine Discussion; synthetic was made for aviation? IIRC the oil we use in the planes I fly (Cessna 152) are regular oil ...
    Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Re: Motor oil brand

synthetic was made for aviation? IIRC the oil we use in the planes I fly (Cessna 152) are regular oil (not sure on the weight) and the oil temp is similar rage of a car..... air cooled engine....

I keep trying to tell my father that Castrol Syntec (not the synthetic blend, but the "full synthetic" accordig to them) is not very good, andisn't a real synthetic oil..... and that Mobil 1 is better, he dosn't listen to me... is there anything I can show him online to prove this?

gtm245 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Motor oil brand

Look online for a court case where one of the major oil brands took Castrol to court because they were marketing Syntec as a synthetic which it truely is not. It is a group III base oil which is refined using petroleum base stocks. I'm not sure but I think it was Mobil that took Castrol to court because Mobil 1 uses PAO based base stocks which do not come from petroleum at all. They felt cheated because it costs a great deal more money to make a PAO based oil than a group III oil and then Castrol would also take some of the market share for an oil thats not even a synthetic. Tell your dad if he wants to save a load of cash and still get the same protection, maybe even better, use Chevron Supreme which is also a group III oil. But since they don't feel the need to cheat the public, they market it as a dino oil and sell it for about $1.09. Or like you said, you could use the Mobil 1 which is probably better than the Syntec and costs roughly the same.

3. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.