In search of a new/rebuilt vacuum pump...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, In search of a new/rebuilt vacuum pump... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I need a new/rebuilt vacuum pump for my 1986 Coupe DeVille (GM #22062562 or Cardone #64-1502). Mine's almost dead, and ...
    Tshimanga75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

In search of a new/rebuilt vacuum pump...

I need a new/rebuilt vacuum pump for my 1986 Coupe DeVille (GM #22062562 or Cardone #64-1502). Mine's almost dead, and everyone I checked with told me it's no longer available. Somebody out there, PLEASE tell me where I can get a replacement!

And if I absolutely can't find an original replacement, is there another pump that'll work in that same application?

I'm new to the Caddy world. This was my grandma's car (really well-kept!), and I'm surprised that it'd be so hard to find a mechanical part for an American car barely 20 years old, where there are still many thousands of them still on the road! Is this a problem I should get used to?

Anyway, thanks for any leads you can give me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Re: In search of a new/rebuilt vacuum pump...

Actually, RockAuto just ran out of them. So did JC Whitney. But SOMEBODY out here has one! Thanks anyway...

They ran out, as in out of stock, or as in they don't make them anymore?

What is the pump for? To supplement engine vacuum?

Both RockAuto and JC Whitney told me their stock has run out, and Cardone's not rebuilding them anymore. It looks like I can't even send in my old pump to Cardone for them to rebuild!

You're right about what the pump does; it supplements engine vacuum to assist the power brakes, and I think maybe the cruise control and climate control too.

I checked the ACDelco website, and they don't even list the original part anymore, but when you enter the year-make-model info, they do show a different vacuum pump (an "all-makes", one-size-fits-all pump). But it's like apples and oranges; the original pump uses two bullet connectors to plug in and this one uses three spades.

You think GM's telling us this'll work as long as we butcher our wiring? Like I said before, I'm new to this. I hope other Caddy parts aren't this hard to come by!

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Are you referring to the belt driven vacuum pump that supplies extra vacuum for the brakes and EGR function or are you talking about the level ride electric pump on the inner fender?

It's the electric pump in the inner fender (the one that's buzzing loudly like a really old fridge!). My mechanic told me that pump is for vacuum-assist functions like brakes, but not for ride control. He then showed me a compressor by the battery and told me THAT's the ride control compressor (which works fine, since I'm having no problems at all with my suspension). I am, however, having problems with my A/C being perpetually stuck in Econ mode, unable to go into Auto, with the "Service A/C" light coming on anytime I try to put it in Auto. I also have a cruise control that fluctuates wildly (if I set it to 60, it'll drift anywhere between 50 to 75!).

But on another note, does anyone out there think this ACDelco universal vacuum pump (214-1356) is a good replacement for the original? Although it's got three wires vice the original two, it's the only one GM now recommends for this application. Whaddaya think?

Well, if you can't find a good one in a junkyard, going with a universal pump will be the only other way to go!

You hit it right there! But the funny thing is, the pump that's on there right now is one my uncle picked up from a yard a couple months ago. He basically replaced a dead pump with a dying pump. That's why I'm set on finding a new/rebuilt pump, so I don't have to repeat this fiasco.

But tell me fellas, anyone out there know how I'd hook up a two-wired harness to a three-wired pump? ACDelco's not too helpful with that info...

You'd have to check a wiring diagram for your car and see what the wires are connected to and controling.

Oops! Scratch that, the other Delco part number I quoted was for an EGR application, not for vacuum assist. I just got off the phone with Delco, and they couldn't help me either.

So can anybody tell me which pump will work in place of the original? At this point I don't care if it's a Bosch pump off a Mercedes, anything that'll do the job is fine with me!

Super-stylist is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i have a brand new pump
    still in original box
    if you are still lookinglet me know
    Tina
    Csmith3758@aol.com

aliter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1986 DeVille Touring Sedan 65K

I am having the same problem with my 86 DeVille, and my pump us making the constant buzz noise. Seems to be working still...but for how long? The pump has made noise for as long as I can remember...from 18,000 miles to 49,000 (current) miles. In fact, initially I didn't know 100% what the pump was for so I pulled the fuse to shut it up and drove without it! Nothing happened but braking is obviously safer with the extra pump. At thet time, I thought it was the level-ride system.

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by Tshimanga75 View Post
    It's the electric pump in the inner fender (the one that's buzzing loudly like a really old fridge!). My mechanic told me that pump is for vacuum-assist functions like brakes, but not for ride control. He then showed me a compressor by the battery and told me THAT's the ride control compressor (which works fine, since I'm having no problems at all with my suspension). I am, however, having problems with my A/C being perpetually stuck in Econ mode, unable to go into Auto, with the "Service A/C" light coming on anytime I try to put it in Auto. I also have a cruise control that fluctuates wildly (if I set it to 60, it'll drift anywhere between 50 to 75!).

But on another note, does anyone out there think this ACDelco universal vacuum pump (214-1356) is a good replacement for the original? Although it's got three wires vice the original two, it's the only one GM now recommends for this application. Whaddaya think?

Is your battery on the driver's side? Because if it's the pump under the battery tray, that serves the cruise control servo. If it's the compressor that you can see on the driver's side of the engine bay - mounted atop the frame rail, that's the self leveling suspension pump.

When your A/C is switching from Auto to Econ, that indicates a low refrigerant condition. It's a self protection feature built into all GM cars of this vintage, because the compressor oil is pressurized by the refrigerant, and running it will damage the compressor.

The cruise fluctuation could be a result of a bad pump, or it might be a simple matter of a stuck switch. Sometimes just running a switch test will reset the system. Here's how:

the cruise control switch test can be done after running through the normal diagnostic routine. That is "Off" and "Warmer" hit simultaneously with the key on. The Fuel Data Center shows all intermittent and hard trouble codes, then reads .7.0 when it finishes the test. To test the cruise switches, you do the diagnostic routine with the engine running. From .7.0, the brake pedal is depressed and released. The FDC then reads E.7.1. From here on, all switch tests must be done in order within 10 seconds intervals, or the computer will interpret the lack of input as a faulty switch. Here's the order of tests:

1) Depress the brake pedal again to test the cruise release switch.
    2) FDC switches to E.7.2 Push throttle down about 1/4th of the way and release slowly to test the throttle switch. FDC switches to E.7.4 (E.7.3 is skipped)
    3) FDC switches to E.7.4 (E.7.3 is skipped) Apply brake and shift from Park to Reverse to Neutral. This tests the park neutral switch.
    4) FDC now reads E.7.5 Set cruise master switch on dash to ON position, then OFF to test that switch.
    5) FDC now reads E.7.6 Turn cruise master switch ON, then depress set/coast button on turn signal lever.
    6) FDC now reads E.7.7 Cruise master switch ON, depress and release resume/accel switch on turn signal lever.
    7) FDC now reads E.7.8 Turn wheel all the way to the right or left, then back to center. This tests the power steering pressure switch.
    8) FDC will read E.0.0, then go back to the standby .7.0

After completing these tests, the FDC will re-display any switch number that did not test properly.

rp7322 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Cadillac DeVille

Has anyone found a source for this vacuum pump yet? I need one for the same vehicle...1986 DeVille 4.1.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.