In search of a new/rebuilt vacuum pump... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, In search of a new/rebuilt vacuum pump... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Is this the buzzing noise I hear when I turn the key into the run position (don't start it, just ...
    ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

Re: In search of a new/rebuilt vacuum pump...

Is this the buzzing noise I hear when I turn the key into the run position (don't start it, just turn it to run)? I've asked three or four mechanics about it and none of them seem to know anything.

rp7322 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Cadillac DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    Is this the buzzing noise I hear when I turn the key into the run position (don't start it, just turn it to run)? I've asked three or four mechanics about it and none of them seem to know anything.
    My pump does the same thing, and buzzes while the engine is running. You can find it by reaching under the driver front fender, between the head light and wheel well. It supports vacuum for the brakes, cruise control, climate control, and releasing the parking brake, maybe more.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Yes, it's the buzzing noise you hear when you turn the key to on with the engine off. Mine makes it too.

Almost forgot... I talked to my electrical mechanic about this today, and he said that the buzzing sound is completely normal, and that it should not be replaced until it starts to fail.

I spent a while looking through manuals and whatnot, and on my 85 Sedan DeVille the main vacuum pump is under the battery on the driver's side. One of my manuals (don't recall which) has a full diagram, and there is hosing that snakes all around the engine bay (the charcoal dehumidifying filter on the passenger side is part of the setup, for example), but the main pump itself (the thing that makes the buzzing noise) is under the battery.

ps--Tshimanga75, my guy says the universal vacuum pump works no problem, and that the third prong on the new pump is not needed

Anybody found a suitable replacement for this? Do the later models have a similar vacuum booster? Are those interchangeable?

Mine has gone from a light constant buzzing to a major rattle and I've had to pull the fuse on it. Since the part is in the fender well, most of the yards did not pull it so there are very few original replacements.

FrankC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '86 Eldorado, 4.1L, 180k

I was looking for a replacement vacuum pump for my 86 Eldorado and found them in the Advance and OReillys online listing. One of them had the actual picture of the type of pump I have. I didn't pursue that farther since I have more pressing issues right now.... Did you check those places?

rootercycles is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Deville with 4.1

what part number is this universal pump and which parts supplier? I called Napa last night and they said a reman pump for my 1985 Caddy would be $189! If this pump is much cheaper, I will try and rig it up..

FrankC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '86 Eldorado, 4.1L, 180k

The pump at Advance, if they are still in stock, is $155.

Cardone Vacuum Pump Part Number: 641502

I happen to be heading there now. I will check.

That part number is a Duralast pump, and is listed as not available for in-store or on-line purchase

I was looking on ALLDATADIY for part numbers and found a TSB

MODELS AFFECTED: 1985-86 FWD DE VILLES AND FLEETWOODS 1986 ELDORADOS AND SEVILLES

This Bulletin supersedes Bulletin T-86-59 which should be destroyed.

Some 1985-86 De Villes and Fleetwoods and 1986 Eldorados and Sevilles may experience a moan or buzzing noise accompanied by vibrations in the steering wheel, instrument panel, and floor pan. A second design vacuum pump and mounting bracket is installed after VIN number 281300 for 1986 FWD De Villes/Fleetwoods, 607957 for 1986 Eldorados, and 805741 for 1986 Sevilles, to provide additional vacuum pump isolation. The redesigned mounting system prevents the second design pumps from being interchangeable directly with the first. Since the first design pumps have been superseded by the second generation pump, it is necessary to install a new mounting bracket when replacing first design pumps. The second design part numbers are listed below.

Part Number Description Usage

22062562 Vacuum Pump C,E,K
    25527649 Bracket C
    1633916 Bracket E, K
    22055187 Grommets C, E, K
    I called the local GM dealer about the replacement part (part no 22062562) and they said it was unavailable. I emailed newgmparts.com about it and they said it was not available in any of their dealer inventories.

Looking around, it also seems that the vacuum pump was only used on the HT4100. I'm guessing that the 4.5 and 4.9 produce enough vacuum by themselves to not need a helper. Therefore, I think I can forget about it, since I plan to swap in a 4.9 longblock with 4.5 intake later this year. I'd still like to get one though.

rootercycles is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Deville with 4.1

any luck with used ones?

I've talked to some junkyards but since the pump is hidden in the fender well and not readily visible part of the engine they are hardly ever pulled. You'd have to find a chassis, which is becoming really difficult for this vintage. Maybe some of the Cadillac specific yards... dunno.

When I was looking around I noticed that most of the current references to "electric vacuum pump" were hot-rod sites that were using them for additional brake boost. There are supposedly a couple of companies that are making them, but they seem to be pretty high dollar.

Another option is to find another electric vacuum pump and adapt it.There are actually a fair number of cars that had these (especially the 4 cylinder stuff), but I think we would need to find out the PSI specs to get something usable. I haven't been able to find this info anywhere. The power part is simple--plug in 12v to accessory lead.

electric vacuum pump at Summit Racing -- $329.95 and no idea if it will work!

One more option worth considering is to replace the pump with a reservoir. For example, my Jeep Cherokee has a thing that looks like an oversized toilet float behind the front bumper, which is a vacuum reservoir canister. When the vacuum is initially created, air is sucked out of the canister too, and when the vacuum is consumed the additional volume in the canister helps to keep vacuum in the system for a longer duration.

So, basically replace the pump in the fender with a toilet float. Maybe.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.