87 deville stalls after a few mins of driving.. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 87 deville stalls after a few mins of driving.. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Stop, relax and do some diagnosis. Get the fuel pressure gauge and see what is going on. If the engine ...
    BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: 87 deville stalls after a few mins of driving..

Stop, relax and do some diagnosis. Get the fuel pressure gauge and see what is going on. If the engine runs fine for awhile and then stalls you need the gauge on there to see what is happening....not start replacing parts. Replacing parts and guessing is not diagnosing. It is shot gunning and rarely ends up successfully. Even when you fix it by accident it costs a lot to replace all those parts.

Get some fuel in the tank so you know it is not starving for fuel. 1 gallon in the tank...??? C'mon. Maybe it is running out of gas now that you have fixed the problem...LOL

Think fuel and spark and see which is missing when it dies. With an 87 with throttle body injection you can see the fuel spraying visually so see if the fuel is spraying when it is stalling and dieing.

Bobby C 01TA is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i'm still looking around for a friend with a fuel pressure gauge. i should be able to get it checked out early next week. I'll start the car up and let it warm up for a while.. then if i drive it around and floor it, it'll feel like its struggling to accelerate..no jerking or anything, it just feels like its running on 4 cylinders or so.. grrrr i'll get it taken care of soon.. hopefully! u have been a great help bob.. i will prolly need some help again soon hehe

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby C 01TA
    i'm still looking around for a friend with a fuel pressure gauge. i should be able to get it checked out early next week. I'll start the car up and let it warm up for a while.. then if i drive it around and floor it, it'll feel like its struggling to accelerate..no jerking or anything, it just feels like its running on 4 cylinders or so.. grrrr i'll get it taken care of soon.. hopefully! u have been a great help bob.. i will prolly need some help again soon hehe
    Fuel pressure gauge should be easy. Find an old refrigerant charge line for R12 systems. They are pretty much unused these days and/ro pretty cheap in the auto stores. The schraeder valve fitting on that refrigerant line is the same that screws onto the fuel line port. Find a scrap gauge and you are in business. you are only looking at 10 PSI fuel pressure so most any gauge will work.

CaddyDeVilleBoy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hello all, I have the same problem with My 1986 DeVille, Just bought it in 11/2003 from first owner, old man who took care of it, new engine at 100,000 miles and now it has 180,000.

car stalls after 20 min, but starts right up when I turn the key, never has impurities in the oil, replaced the distributer , ignition coil/set up and then this problem came up, whats going on?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.