throttle angle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, throttle angle in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I just found out about all the OBD stuff you can do and looked at my throttle angle. At WOT ...
    DeVillish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

throttle angle

I just found out about all the OBD stuff you can do and looked at my throttle angle. At WOT its at 75.9 deg. Would making it open closer to 90 degs help make more power? and if so, how can i do it? Oh, its a 90 4.5.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Once the idle spec is set, there's not much you can do about the WOT spec, it's basically self-setting. I would make sure you aren't getting any kind of obstruction either in the TB, or at the gas pedal (like a floor mat limiting pedal travel etc.).
    Also, are you working the throttle from the pedal or manually at the TB?

the pedal. that kinds sucks, i was hopping that would be a way to get more power out of it, its not that easy to find stuff for 4.5s. I'll check if there is anything blocking the pedal or TB.

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS
    What your throttle position sensor (TPS) reports and what your actual throttle angle is may not necessarily be the same. Verify with an assistant that your throttle blades are exactly 90* at WOT -- they probably only open about 80* -- even if you operate it at the throttle body. It's probably physically limited to somewhere less than 90*.

The important setting is the TPS voltage. I think it's supposed to be about 5 volts at WOT. Verify this with your service manual, if you have one. If it's close to that value at WOT, and close to the idle value (.45 volts maybe...not sure), it's adjusted properly.

As I recall, it should be about .6 at idle and about 5 at WOT.
    Verify WOT by throttle lever contacting throttle stop.

Originally posted by Katshot
    As I recall, it should be about .6 at idle and about 5 at WOT.
    Verify WOT by throttle lever contacting throttle stop.
    Yes, Kevin said in many fewer words what I was trying to say about the throttle being physically limited to less than 90 degrees probably. If it contacts the WOT stop, you're at WOT.

ok, thanks, i'll check out the volts tomarrow

i looked a little closer and its not the pedal or cable, theres a stopper on the outside of the TB that stops the little lever that is conected to the cable. If you look at my crapy dawing you can see what i mean. I was thinking if i shave off that little bump on the stopper it should open closer to 90*. Any thoughts?
    Attached Images

Naw, I wouldn't shave anything there (don't take that the wrong way). They designed the stopper there for the throttle lever at an exact height for a reason. What's already there, you should leave IMHO.

That's the throttle-stop screw. If you are hitting it, you're getting full throttle.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.