How important is the PCV? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, How important is the PCV? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ok I guess it is that simple lol... I didn't have a specific car in mind, but I'd like to ...
    Tailfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Concours

Re: How important is the PCV?

Ok I guess it is that simple lol... I didn't have a specific car in mind, but I'd like to try it on an old engine and see what performance differences and maintenance differences I noticed....presuming I could afford spare cars as a hobby .

I was just afraid that simply sticking it in like that would affect the vacuum system of the vehicle...but I guess it's not too much to worry about...

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Atmospheric pcv systems have been around since the early 60's I think.
    Vacuum systems were in place before the 70's hit.
    Not sure of the specific years. Some quick research could probably reveal exact dates.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

performance benifits?

I don't think there are any performance benifits from a PCV system alone... but it really helps to keep engines clean... which inturn can help performance....

On my '79 when I put the open element air filter on, the part where it got air from the air cleaner was no longer there, so I bought a breather filter that went on the valve cover, like a little air cleaner... I suppose that is doing the same thing as the stock system....

bobbarker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 STS

Quote Originally Posted by FredMaxwell
    How important is the PCV?

The importance of the PCV system is to allow air to be drawn through the crankcase to carry impurities including corrosive chemicals out of the crankcase and into the intake (NOT GOOD since it will eventually clog up your intake and reduce power). When the engine is getting a bit old, the crankcase breather also acts to allow the fuming to get out. On a tired engine, the PCV will be able to draw vapours and air through the crankcase at idle, but the breather will let stuff out at higher throttle openings. As the engine becomes more stuffed, the point at which PCV can draw air in spite of the blowby will get closer and closer to idle...

davew26 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This sounds like my STS. Does anyone know where I can find the PVC valve on a 93 STS. The idle is driving me crazy.. Idles at 1600 in neutral. Last week it was a nice 700 rpm idle.

Great site.

Thanks.

Dave

Tailfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Concours

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/cata...&parttype=5052

But this is a cheap and common part, so I'd just go to Advance Auto, NAPA, whatever and they should have one.

Jim Ellis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Good answer ............... Do you know where the PCV Valve is located in a 2004 DeVille engine (NorthStar)?

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Hi Jim--

Wrong posting area (see Northstar forum), but I believe it's in the rear valve cover.

Jim Ellis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Smile Re: How important is the PCV?

Thanx!!!!!!!

Most newer N* engines no longer have a serviceable PCV valve.
    It is a fixed orifice that is actually part of the valve cover.
    I can't remember what year they switched over to this. I think it might have been '02 or maybe '04?

I can't really think of any newer Cadillacs that still use a PCV valve. Most of them are fixed orifice types these days.
    Even the Escalade and the CTS-V engines have a "valve" but it is really a hollow valve body with a hole drilled in the bottom.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

You could get rid of it, and be at risk for a $10,000 fine. Me too if I had suggested getting rid of it.

I don't know how you would get caught, but others should have some war stories on this.

It is not something that you would really want to get rid of.... it serves an important purpose, to remove it is to invite oil leaks and all kinds of other problems.
    Technically it is an emissions control device and subject to fine for tampering.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.