Cooling Problems - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Cooling Problems in Cadillac Engine Discussion; bbobynski; Thanks for the tips. I think my cooling problem was a false full level in the radiator. This car ...
    Hot4.1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1982 4.1 DeVille Hearse

QuestionRe: Cooling Problems

bbob;

Thanks for the tips. I think my cooling problem was a false full level in the radiator. This car needs two people to top off the radiator - One to pour coolant while another revs the engine to 1500 rpm. Will know for sure this summer in Houston.

Next problem - it doesn't pass emissions inspection. First it failed for hydrocarbons and NOX. I put on a catalytic converter. Now it fails only NOX. O2 sensor shows proper voltage on the computer readout. I banged on the EGR valve with a hammer (like it says in the manual) and plugged the vacuum line from the air cleaner into it - it killed the engine immediately - so I don't think it is stuck. Can't reach the bolts to take it out - need a double-jointed knuckle wrench.

I can't detect a vacuum coming from the EGR vacuum solenoid switch. This switch is a $150 item. I checked it after the engine was heated up, many times. Never pulled a vacuum. The vacuum line between the switch and the EGR valve did have splits in it, I replaced the line, but I would feel more confident if I knew the switch was doing its job.

I tried the "Guaranteed to Pass" additive - it failed.

Might need a tune-up, but it runs real smooth. What is the trick to getting to that back row of spark plugs on the sideways engine?

The continuing saga of the Hot 4.1.

shredder130 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Cooling Problems

no real trick, i just used a short extension, changing the plugs was one of the first things i did when i picked mine up

3. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.