Ram Air/Cold air intake for 4.9?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Ram Air/Cold air intake for 4.9? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Is there a ram air/cold air setup for the 4.9 available anywhere? I haven't found any online, and have been ...
    Mahalaleel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L

Ram Air/Cold air intake for 4.9?

Is there a ram air/cold air setup for the 4.9 available anywhere? I haven't found any online, and have been considering building my own...

I've been trying to think of a good way to do a ram air setup, because those help noticeably at speeds upwards of 40mph..

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Re: Ram Air/Cold air intake for 4.9?

Ghost C has made one...talk to him..hes got one of the fastest 4.9 devilles around

Sweet, thanks for the tip, I'm thinking I'll buy one from him

rldsl is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I found a site that has electric superchargers for the cadillac, works at
    W.O.T. (Wide Open Throttle).

Ghost C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special

It's true. Electric superchargers, when properly built, do work.

But the ones that work properly are few and far between. Thomas Knight, as far as I know, is one of, if not the only manufacturer of an E-SC that actually works, especially for a 300ci V8. Yes, I realize I just said TKT is the only one with a working model. Mine doesn't work well enough - It burns up parts too often to even be considered for street use.

If you're going to pay several hundred dollars for a good electronic supercharger, you may as well save a few more dollars, and buy a CAI, exhaust, and a nitrous kit. More all-time power, and more on-the-switch power.

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Copycat!!! Looks good man.

Mahalaleel, I forgot that you sent me a PM a while ago in regards to this. I'll do a write up on it in a few days with a few pics.

Quote Originally Posted by illumina
    Copycat!!! Looks good man.
    Haha, hey, I didn't know you did your engine bay like that until after I had already started doing mine. It looks better now though...

Yeah, I did mine about three years ago. I have older pictures on my cardomain site, which I haven't updated in a while. I re-did the whole thing about 6 months ago and did the spark plug covers and such like you have yours, only I did mine in anodized blue, not flat blue and I got rid of most of the red I had in there. I also have a polished 4-inch aluminum intake now. Looks freakin' great! I'll post a pic, wait a second...

Here you go:
    Attached Images

4"? That outer diameter or inner? Ours are only 3.5" OD. I've got the ultimate cold air location, though...

(Yes, I know my filter looks ghetto, but it's also the filter medium of choice for many SCCA Speed World Challenge cars.)

Where'd you get yours done, or did you do it yourself?

That's what I plan do do with the air filter when I go turbo: that is to re-locate the charcoal canister and route the intake down low. I just need to make sure that water doesn't intrude from that location.

As for why mine is still visible, I like to have a combination of looks and performance, and there is hardly any serious heat reaching the air filter for performance to be impeded.

For the filter, I used the Spectre (I think) universal filter that adapts from 3 inch, 3.5 inches, and 4 inches, all OD. The tube is a polished aluminum 45 degree angle tube from the local ricer shop. I can't remember who makes it, but I'll find out later.

As for who did my setup, me and only me!!! I am one of a select few (you too) who thinks this shit up as a hobby. I wouldn't dare let anyone try and touch my baby

So far, my car is good for a sub-7 second 0-60 run and very low 15's on the quarter. I posted a 15.33 @ 90 mph well over a year ago, and since then, I've seen better times because of some extra tweaking. The last 0-60 run I got in with my G-Tech was about 6.7 seconds, which was this past autumn. I also got in a 0-100 time in just under 19 seconds...To keep people from calling this bullshit (Blackout), I won't even mention the quatermile times from that run...

Ignore blackout, he's an ass.

What'd you get on the gtech for 1/4?

Quote Originally Posted by illumina
    That's what I plan do do with the air filter when I go turbo: that is to re-locate the charcoal canister and route the intake down low. I just need to make sure that water doesn't intrude from that location.
    I don't have a problem with it, it still sits up above the hole. I was thinking of building a sort of scoop to block water and force more air in.
    As for why mine is still visible, I like to have a combination of looks and performance, and there is hardly any serious heat reaching the air filter for performance to be impeded.
    Yeah, I've noticed heat isn't very much of a problem. With the pop charger intake we (Evoluzione, so people don't think I'm schizo or something) were testing, I noticed it gave damn near the level of performance as the full on CAI. Gives a much throaty-er sound though...

For the filter, I used the Spectre (I think) universal filter that adapts from 3 inch, 3.5 inches, and 4 inches, all OD. The tube is a polished aluminum 45 degree angle tube from the local ricer shop. I can't remember who makes it, but I'll find out later.
    You have a ricer shop intake? Ew! You should have let me build your intake, no where near as much heat soak as aluminum, plus it looks like it's a little longer for more higher RPM horsepower.

As for who did my setup, me and only me!!! I am one of a select few (you too) who thinks this shit up as a hobby. I wouldn't dare let anyone try and touch my baby
    Hobby? This is my job.

So far, my car is good for a sub-7 second 0-60 run and very low 15's on the quarter. I posted a 15.33 @ 90 mph well over a year ago, and since then, I've seen better times because of some extra tweaking. The last 0-60 run I got in with my G-Tech was about 6.7 seconds, which was this past autumn. I also got in a 0-100 time in just under 19 seconds...To keep people from calling this bullshit (Blackout), I won't even mention the quatermile times from that run...
    Nice! We should get 'em together and run them, sounds like we're about equal. You broken into the 14's yet? I've been waiting for you to do it.

I need a G-Tech...

No, I do my own work, but thanks anyways

I did the original intake for this car in PVC about three years ago. It looked pretty good for a while but began to twist a little bit from the heat and being in there for so long. As for the aluminum, I really don't think it's impeding anything at all. It looks good and was fairly cheap. Plus it is routed well out of the way of any serious heat. It has plenty of plenum space per'se, so like I said, I'm not too worried about it. Besides, when I get things welded for this turbocharger, things are going to look way different than they do now.

As for the comments on breaking into the 14's....I'm not saying anything at all Before the turbo goes in, I plan on getting some time in at the track while it's still naturally aspirated. I expect pretty decent results too.

100 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)

Just for my curiosity:

how does those system control the air/fuel mixture? I thought 4.9 can't handle any positive pressure just because the way the MAP sensor works.

You guys have very nice cars!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.