4.9l V8 Sfi Ohv 16v
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9l V8 Sfi Ohv 16v in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Thinkin bout buyin another eldo 1993 (white diamond) with a 4.9L V8 SFI OHV 16V . whats the scoop on ...
    Walt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Smile 4.9l V8 Sfi Ohv 16v

Thinkin bout buyin another eldo 1993 (white diamond) with a 4.9L V8 SFI OHV 16V . whats the scoop on this engine? Walt

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Re: 4.9l V8 Sfi Ohv 16v

they are very good engines.... 200hp 275ft lbs of tourqe.... low on the hp, [very] high on the tourqe, it's right there when you hit the gas... it is made by Cadillac, only used in Caddy's..... no real known problems, like things going wrong...... they have a rough idel, need premium gas (dosn't bother me) with normal maintenace will go well into 200k miles.... it is smart to change the coolent every year (gotta use special GM tablets though, do a search, you'll know what I mean)

they are about a second or so slower in the 1/4 then NorthStar powered cars.... but alot more simple and less maintenance..... I am very happy with mine, there is NO aftermakret at all (well, K&N drop in and a Fast Chip computer chip) too bad the power output wasn't a little higher....or a way to bump it up a little..... although next year I want to get a nice Flow Master cat-back exhaust system....

Walt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    they are very good engines.... 200hp 275ft lbs of tourqe.... low on the hp, [very] high on the tourqe, it's right there when you hit the gas... it is made by Cadillac, only used in Caddy's..... no real known problems, like things going wrong...... they have a rough idel, need premium gas (dosn't bother me) with normal maintenace will go well into 200k miles.... it is smart to change the coolent every year (gotta use special GM tablets though, do a search, you'll know what I mean)

they are about a second or so slower in the 1/4 then NorthStar powered cars.... but alot more simple and less maintenance..... I am very happy with mine, there is NO aftermakret at all (well, K&N drop in and a Fast Chip computer chip) too bad the power output wasn't a little higher....or a way to bump it up a little..... although next year I want to get a nice Flow Master cat-back exhaust system....
    Thanks for the info Rick

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The 4.9 also has the same torque as a new Ferrari 360 Modena. (275)

92EldoTC is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9

very reliable engine. simple technology. good old pushrod engine that is low maintanance. I would get one anyday over a northstar. Northstar engines have head gasket problems and I just dont see what all the hype is about. I mean its a good running engine with more power than the 4.9 but thats only when they're healthy. Truth be told, around town there is no difference in the performance of these 2 engines. Only way you can tell the power difference is on the highway.
    The 4.9 still cruises very smooth and silent at 75-80 mph and still knocks down close to 30 mpg which is kind of unheard of for a V8 engine, very good motor in my opinion.

Brizzal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

i have the 4.9 in my cady and i love it. ive done many mods to it, which gave it a little more thump. i put a flowmaster 80 muffler on the car and man does it sound good. check out my video in my signature

I like the sound. Sounds like the LT1 Z28's with a flowmaster. Did you notice any difference in power with the CAI and the muffler setup? Also where did you get the CAI, now I want one.
    Great choice of tips, the rectangular tips are my personal favorites.
    Nice Deville!

there is a big difference! the throttle is alot more responsive. plus the looks i get for it being a cadillac and sounding like that. ive heard plenty of N* exhaust videos with magnaflow and flowmasters on there cars, yea they sound great but the exhaust note just doesnt drop like the 4.9 does. people ask me if ive done an engine swap, i just say nope good ol 4.9 and they give me the blank stare. the intake i custom made with a 3" cone filter. thanks for the comments!

I think an aftermarket exhaust such as yours sounds better with a regular V8 with no dual cams like the N*. The N* sounds ok with aftermarket mufflers but it doesnt have that muscle car sound like the 4.9 or any other old school tech V8.

the 4.9 is a pushrod engine it gives it that low rumble
    search some exhaust videos on youtube youll see the difference

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

The Corsa cat-back on my STS' Northstar is a VERY sweet sounding engine at 7,000 RPMs! No 4.9 matches it for sounds!

sound clips?

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

The Corsa website has some great sound clips of the STS system! And yes, it does sound THAT good!

http://www.corsaperf.com/flashcadillac.htm

damn that sounds good!, u can tell its a N*, but the thing i like the most about a 4.9s exhaust is that it has a much deeper tone to it and slower idle.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf View Post

That post is 4.5 YEARS old...... why bring back the old thread?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.