4.9l V8 Sfi Ohv 16v - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9l V8 Sfi Ohv 16v in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; sounds good but put that same system under a 4.9....
    92EldoTC is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9

Re: 4.9l V8 Sfi Ohv 16v

sounds good but put that same system under a 4.9.

Ghost C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special

4.9's sound better than that through fiberglass-filled mufflers (which is what Corsa uses).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufoDxp8vvvg

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost C View Post
    4.9's sound better than that through fiberglass-filled mufflers (which is what Corsa uses).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufoDxp8vvvg
    Um...no. The nice thing about the Corsa system is that there's no drone when cruising. I've used other performance mufflers on Northstars, and they were awful when cruising or at highway speeds.
    And the Corsa mufflers are flow through, there is no fiberglass in them. Check the website for more info.

Yes, flow through - Meaning fiberglass (or steel mesh, or both) filled, not a trap design (ie stock, flowmaster, etc) muffler. Contact their sales department if you think I'm wrong - I do this for a living.

Your opinion is that your Northstar sounds better than any 4.9. I say not only does my 4.9 sound better than your Northstar, my car's faster to boot. How does that make your dual overhead cams feel?

Brizzal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Yes, flow through - Meaning fiberglass (or steel mesh, or both) filled, not a trap design (ie stock, flowmaster, etc) muffler. Contact their sales department if you think I'm wrong - I do this for a living.

Your opinion is that your Northstar sounds better than any 4.9. I say not only does my 4.9 sound better than your Northstar, my car's faster to boot. How does that make your dual overhead cams feel?
    4.9 does sound alot better than the n*, 4.9 has a lower exhaust note and slower idle. i love my flowmaster 80, best mod on the car!

92EldoTC is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9

damn, that 4.9 does sound good.
    Deeper tone and slower idle sounds like a 350 chevy.
    Dual cams sound to modern, not really a musclecar like sound.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Straight from the website:

CORSA's straight-through, nonrestrictive muffler design increases exhaust flow when compared to the original equipment system. The result? Improved sound and performance with nearly a 20 horsepower improvement. And there is no packing or sound-absorbing material in the mufflers that would eventually burn out over time causing an increase in exhaust noise.

And what is it you do for a living? Build mufflers?

The 4.9 does sound good, but at 7,000 RPMs the Northstar sounds amazing! I've owned all kinds of Cadillacs, and my STS has one of the best sounding engines.

As for your 4.9 being faster....well, I'll look for ya on the streets!

akaBC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 57 conv 58 CdV 60 conv 67/69 Eldos 67 CdV 72 CdV MORE!

Well, does anyone have any adjusted opinions of the 4.9 currently? I just got a 93 Eldo cpe and was vaguely disappointed that it wasn't a Northstar...until I read these remarks. I infer I should use premium gas for better mileage? It has the $900 + optional Dolby system, and though I ain't a kid no more, I didn't protest. . . . And what exhaust y'all recommend--flowmasters or..?.. (for better mileage as well as sound). Thanks y'all..

If you run premium, you can advance the base timing for improved performance. The engine didn't come with a knock sensor, so the timing is backed off for those who would run mid grade or low test so that there's no detonation. A search on these forums should produce multiple threads with instructions for how to properly set the timing on the 4.9.

I personally would not ever put a flowmaster muffler on any car. They sound like crap to me, and do not make any power (or mileage) gains over stock - some have even been proven to perform worse during dyno testing. Straight through design mufflers are the way to go, lots of manufacturers make them in many different designs.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...x-engines.html
    Here's an old thread on 4.9 performance mods. Without doing extensive custom fabrication (or having it done for you), the stuff in that thread will be about as far as you can take it, power wise. There are lots of custom projects going on with 4.9's, most of them are no longer in Cadillacs however and the info about them on this forum is generally sparse, though a few of the 4.9 Fiero owners post over here sometimes.

As for my opinion of the 4.9 itself, I still think it's a spectacular engine. Mine is torn apart right now for a full rebuild at 196k miles, but the rebuild is 100% only because I want to do extensive internal engine and transmission modifications. If not for that, I have no doubt the engine could have easily gone 300-350k miles and more than likely even more. It's a very reliable, extremely well built and relatively untaxed engine that makes a car deceptively fast (given vehicle weight and peak horsepower/torque) because it has so much "under the curve" power and torque.

akaBC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 57 conv 58 CdV 60 conv 67/69 Eldos 67 CdV 72 CdV MORE!

Thank you Ghost C (That's probably what "BC" will be one day--far way!). I sure value your response and feel even better about my choice! Am going to seek your "friendship" Thanks, again. BC

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

I'm on my 3 rd. 4.9 now, they are a great engine, I have always used regular gas in all of them and they ran just fine,I wouldn't
    go cheap on gas if I thought it would harm the engine, I have also owned a 97 sts with the northstar, I trust the 4.9 a lot more than the N*,
    I have 165,000 miles on my 92 eldo. and it still runs great.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.