1985 Eldorado running rough at sustained high speeds
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 1985 Eldorado running rough at sustained high speeds in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a '85 eldo with 135k miles on it. I picked it up with 76k miles in 2010. A ...
    twopanjim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Eldorado,1991 Sedan Deville

1985 Eldorado running rough at sustained high speeds

I have a '85 eldo with 135k miles on it. I picked it up with 76k miles in 2010. A major tune up at 86k miles plugs,wires, rotor cap,etc. Leaks about a quart of oil between changes. Just replaced the fuel pump and sending unit about 6 months ago.

I can start the car without touching the gas pedal. It idles fine. I drive it to work about 36 miles of which 24 miles are interstate. Recently, after driving to the highway (10 miles) and about 10 miles on the interstate the car starts a slight vibration above 60 mph. If I accelerate it feels like it is missing. At steady 70mph it feels like it surges and vibrates, if I keep the speed below 60 the vibration and surging stops but the acceleration is still bad. when I get off the interstate, the engine runs rough and accelerates rough for a number of miles, then finally settles down again. This also happens on the return home portion. About 6 months ago a new temperature sensor and new oxy sensor were installed when the check engine light came on. No error codes currently at this time. Just trying to give as complete a picture as I can. Thanks for taking the time to read this long winded narration. Any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

omston is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1985 Seville

Re: 1985 Eldorado running rough at sustained high speeds

Could be the tcc solenoid sticking do you have any error codes?

----------

Yeah sounds like a trans issue to me have you ever serviced it?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 1985 Eldorado running rough at sustained high speeds

Do the same drive in 3rd gear. If it doesn't occur then you need to replace the TCC solenoid in the transmission valve body. Somewhere between 46 to 54 MPH the torque converter is locked up to improve mileage. If it locks up but refuses to unlock these issues you describe happen. Its an additional 15 minute job above changing the trans filter and pan gasket. There are many Cad's running around with the wire harness to the trans unplugged to keep this from happening, but thats not a fix, thats a "redneck" repair!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.