Need help! Having starting problems with my 84 Coupe DeVille
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Need help! Having starting problems with my 84 Coupe DeVille in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; So recently bought a 84 Coupe DeVille with the HT4100. Motor turns but will not fire. Replaced the plugs, plug ...
    jollygreen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    So recently bought a 84 Coupe DeVille with the HT4100. Motor turns but will not fire. Replaced the plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel strainer, battery, starter and did oil change. Still will not fire. Double checked all the replaced parts everything checks out. Checked the throttle body to see if it was supplying gas, no gas. Butterfly opens and closes fine no gas from the injectors. Pulled the fuel lines at the throttle body. One was dry the other had fuel in it. So my questions are, could it be the throttle body has gone bad or are the injectors bad?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: Need help! Having starting problems with my 84 Coupe DeVille

You need to screw a fuel pressure tester onto the schrader valve just in front of the throttle body. Crank the engine over and write down the fuel pressure reading and report back. Should be around 9 to 12 lb. if memory serves. How much gas is in the tank? I presume you looked at and/ or replaced the injector fuses. This engine also would shut down the fuel pump if it saw no oil pressure. The sender above the oil filter adapter has more than one wire. Check them for being disconnected, broken burnt up. They can get too close to the exh. manifold and melt. With someone listening at the fuel filler and you turning the key to run, they should hear the pump buzz for a few seconds, is that happening? Did you buy it as a non running car?

jollygreen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I did buy the car non running. I bought it from my cousin. It sat for several years neglected. Story is it ran like a charm when it was parked. Cranked several times over a 2 year span then cousin moved outta town left car at his mom's. Still ran like a charm. Sat and sat. Saw it bought it tuned the key motor turned no fire.

Ran a couple test after replacing the fuel pump, it does make the buzzing noise for a sec after you turn the key. Haven't ran a fuel pressure test yet since dropping the tank and replacing the pump, strainer, and filter. Probably should do that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.