Timing Issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By carnut
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Timing Issue in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; On an 85 seville the timing tab at the crank pulley what are the space values an where is 0 ...
    omston is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1985 Seville

Timing Issue

On an 85 seville the timing tab at the crank pulley what are the space values an where is 0 located i cant read mine. Please help if you know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: Timing Issue

If you haven't unplugged the green connector by the distributor You wont see the mark. They're in 2 degree increments. You might apply some yellow chalk or white-out on the marker. Should be 10 degrees but they run better at 12.

warnereg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan Deville

I would keep it at 10 if you want to run stock. Those high paid engineers set the timing at 10 degrees btdc for a reason. It seems to be a controversial subject, but I will never run my timing anything other than stock spec. I have not seen any solid proof of timing changes making this motor run "better".

Quote Originally Posted by warnereg View Post
    I would keep it at 10 if you want to run stock. Those high paid engineers set the timing at 10 degrees btdc for a reason. It seems to be a controversial subject, but I will never run my timing anything other than stock spec. I have not seen any solid proof of timing changes making this motor run "better".
    Really! Factory Timing specs are a compromise at best. Quality of gas, altitude, air density all affect optimum timing on any engine. There are no "timing police" Trust me 2 degrees above spec. will allow the engine to run better, by that I mean quicker off idle response and if closely monitored, 1 to 2 MPG improvement. BUT.... we haven't heard back from the Op so lets wait and see whats up.
    delerium75 likes this.

Where exactly is this green wire? Is it connected to the distributor? Or to the multi point connector on the fire wall?

Its not a green wire, its a green connector just beside the distributor. Its mentioned on the decal on your radiator support.

My decal on the shrouds all washed out couldn't read it. I changed intake gaskets and removed distributor and i just don't recall seeing it but ill look for it. It starts right up and runs ok so it must not be to far off i marked distributor location before i pulled it.

Are you talking about the connector out of the base of the distributor its 4 or 5 pins?

Its a one wire connector. GREEN !

Thanks i found it i wonder if they could have made it harder to reach? I guess if your eight feet tall its easy. My timing tabs in 4 deg increments not two.

Your right its 2 deg increments i didnt see the small hash marks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.