4100 Reliability - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4100 Reliability in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by Dadillac Yo Ape Man, you didn't need to type all of that. I was trying to save ...
    The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Re: 4100 Reliability

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac
    Yo Ape Man, you didn't need to type all of that. I was trying to save someone (you) the trouble of doing that. I was only interested in the things to look for, for the specific cars in question (Eldo, Riv, Toronado). Issues that these cars have in particular. I am well aware of what to look for, when checking out a used car. Sorry you went through all of that typing, but it is appreciated. Thanks

Don
    All that stuff IS model specific.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Quote Originally Posted by The Ape Man
    All that stuff IS model specific.
    These cars have that many quirks to them? That doesn't make me happy. I do believe that a v8 Riviera, or Toronado, will be the car for me. The Olds 307 was no prize, but at least it was dependable. At least with these cars, it is just the tranny, and front end, that needs special attention. Although I really love the look of the Riv, a 350 Toronado, may be what I end up with. Thanks

Don

All cars have their problems. I can list about half that much stuff on what I consider the best car model that I ever turned a wrench on. That generation of heavy FWD was not known for keeping a front end. The are great cars with fresh parts though. Hopefully, you will land up with a copy that has had the expensive stuff already done properly.

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

One more thing I forgot to mention is that those cars eat CV joint boots like there was no tomorrow!
    It is an easy fix (and no damage to the joints if caught in time), but is a pain to fix and makes a big mess!

I've had those replaced multiple times on my 84 Eldo, and now my 85 Eldo will need them done too (and it only just hit 40k miles today)!

Peteski

RawjaNYC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 84&88 Elegantes,89 Allante,91&93 Sixty Specials,93 DeVille

...Getting back to your original question, the Seville had a 6.0 Litre V8 available in 1980 and 1981 if the HT4100 frightens you. It put out more power as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RawjaNYC
    ...Getting back to your original question, the Seville had a 6.0 Litre V8 available in 1980 and 1981 if the HT4100 frightens you. It put out more power as well.
    The '80 Seville is a tough one to find an engine computer for if the occasion arises. I've seen 2, maybe they were California models. I dunno if they were available with a simple carbonator in 1980 like the RWD.

Quote Originally Posted by peteski
    One more thing I forgot to mention is that those cars eat CV joint boots like there was no tomorrow!
    It is an easy fix (and no damage to the joints if caught in time), but is a pain to fix and makes a big mess!

I've had those replaced multiple times on my 84 Eldo, and now my 85 Eldo will need them done too (and it only just hit 40k miles today)!

Peteski
    Forget the old rubber boots. They explode if the air is not burped out on assembly. The newer plastic boots last a long time with much less trouble.

They are plastic (not rubber) - still crack and split. Go figure...
    Peteski

RawjaNYC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 84&88 Elegantes,89 Allante,91&93 Sixty Specials,93 DeVille

The '80 Seville is a tough one to find an engine computer for if the occasion arises. I've seen 2, maybe they were California models. I dunno if they were available with a simple carbonator in 1980 like the RWD
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the equivalent model year Eldorado, which used the same drivetrain also used the same computer. Given the extremely high sales numbers for the Eldorado during this time period, those parts should be fairly plentiful.

vlrench is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I think the '80 to '85 Sevilles used the same drive train as the Eldo. The '79 seville was kind of like a Chevy Nova, but much nicer.

Right, Eldo got restyled in 79 while Seville didn't til 1980. Then both got changed in 1986.

So, 80-85 shared the same drivetrain. (at least, that is what I know).

There were probably some drivetrain variations not available in both models in the same years.

Perhaps it is the 79 Seville which was the "odd duck" with a weird engine/computer.

Peteski

Quote Originally Posted by RawjaNYC
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the equivalent model year Eldorado, which used the same drivetrain also used the same computer. Given the extremely high sales numbers for the Eldorado during this time period, those parts should be fairly plentiful.
    Both car lines use the 1224539 ECM good luck ever finding one. Tell the parts guy about the extremely high sales numbers. Maybe that will help.

I do not believe that the Seville's and Eldo's shared the same engines, in '80 & '81. The '80 - '85 Seville had the 4100. If memory serves me right, the '80 Eldo, had a 350, and the '81 Eldo, had a V8-6-4. I think the ci on it was 368. The Eldo didn't get the 4100, until '82. Please guys, correct me if I am wrong.

Don

elk9300` is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1985 Fleetwood Brougham 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

The 4100 wasn't available on any Cadillac (Eldo, Seville, Fleetwood, Deville) until 1982.

The 1980 FWD (longitudinal) Eldo and Seville had a 350 Diesel (std on Seville, opt on Eldo), a 368 with DFI (optional on Seville, std on Eldo). In 81, the Eldo and Seville had DFI with the 8-6-4 (optional on Seville std on Eldo) the diesel (opt on Eldo, std on Seville) and the 4.1 V6 credit option on both Seville and Eldo.

The RWD had the carb 368 and diesel in 1980. 1981 RWD had the 368 V864, diesel, and 4.1 V6.

1982 std on all models was the HT 4100 (exc limos which kept the V864 and commercial chassis which had the carb 368)

Quote Originally Posted by elk9300`
    The 4100 wasn't available on any Cadillac (Eldo, Seville, Fleetwood, Deville) until 1982.

The 1980 FWD (longitudinal) Eldo and Seville had a 350 Diesel (std on Seville, opt on Eldo), a 368 with DFI (optional on Seville, std on Eldo). In 81, the Eldo and Seville had DFI with the 8-6-4 (optional on Seville std on Eldo) the diesel (opt on Eldo, std on Seville) and the 4.1 V6 credit option on both Seville and Eldo.

The RWD had the carb 368 and diesel in 1980. 1981 RWD had the 368 V864, diesel, and 4.1 V6.

1982 std on all models was the HT 4100 (exc limos which kept the V864 and commercial chassis which had the carb 368)
    Very useful info. Thank you.

Don

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.