engins problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, engins problem in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I HAVE A 1993 CADILLAC DEVILLE IN GOOD CONDITION,THE CAR HAS 160.000 MILES ON IT. I'AM RESTORING THE CAR AND ...
    jeffreyestesii is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS

engins problem

I HAVE A 1993 CADILLAC DEVILLE IN GOOD CONDITION,THE CAR HAS 160.000 MILES ON IT. I'AM RESTORING THE CAR AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU CAN REBUILD THE 4.9 ON THIS CAR OR CAN I REPLACE IT WITH ANYOTHER ENGINE MADE BY GM ON THIS CAR? IF ANYONE CAN HELP PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT lynnii2@hotmail.com.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DFBonnett is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: engins problem

Why do you believe you need to rebuild the engine at this time?

jeffreyestesii is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS

The Car Is In Good Shape I'am Restoring The Car And Everything Looks Good But The Engin.i Also Have Lack Of Power With The Engine Now,so I Just Wanted To Have Everything Looking And Riding Good.

DFBonnett is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: engine problem

The 4.9 just doesn't have the same power as the Northstar, and the deville is a heavy car. In your place I would do a compression test before any final decision about a tear down and rebuild. If compression is up to spec, a rebuild is likely to produce marginal improvements at best. If the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs are past their prime, a replacement of those could make a significant difference in performance and gas mileage.
    You can rebuild the 4.9. A swap from a different Caddy year and model might involve some computer compatibility issues which would need to be addressed. I am unaware of any non-Caddy GM engines which are bolt-ins.
    FWIW
    YMMV
    DFB

cruella89deville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The engine being monuted as it is really jacks up your engine choices. Caprice guys have it easy. The 4.5, 4.6 northstar, and the 4.9 should all be fine. The northstar and some of the 4.9's might have compatibility issues. I'd say to keep it simple, stick with the same 4.9 as you have now. Yours being a '93, it has the most power. I know a few sites that sell remanufactured engines. I've seen all three of the engines listed for sale on that site. My 4.5 goes for like $1,500 I believe..? If you're doing a restoration...I'd say just stick with your existing platform. Unless you know how to rebuild and engine, it might be cheaper to just get a reman'd one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.