Regular gas vs. premium gas
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Regular gas vs. premium gas in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ok ive heard a lot of people saying different things about it, but here it goes ive read that u ...
    Dew Barfer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): "94 sdn deville R.I.P." 91 sedan deville 1978 eldorado

Regular gas vs. premium gas

Ok ive heard a lot of people saying different things about it, but here it goes

ive read that u have to use premium due to the lack of ping sensors and such
    so basiclly my question is, with out changing the timing to efficiently operate on regular gas would it do any long term damage to the engine if i run the lower octaine?? or even running premium every 2nd or 3rd fill-up!?!?!
    not to sound like im b*tching but gas prices r gettin high for workin at kfc taco bell n runnin a 94 sdv

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

Re: Regular gas vs. premium gas

Does your car have a Northstar engine? If yes, you should post this on the Northstar forum.

I also don't recall seeing enywhere that other Caddy engines (like 4.1, 4.5 or 4.9) need premium gas.
    So, unless the gas gauge says "Premium Fuel Only", you're all set using Regular Gas.

And if it says "premium", there might be some timing adjustments you can make at the cost of decreased preformance.

Workin' at KFC, eh? Time to trade in that big-bad-Caddy for a Geo Metro or a Kia!

Peteski

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

All 4.9L engines are premium fuel engines.

Although the FSM states that you can change the timing from 10 degrees to 6 degrees to run 87 octane. This "ability" was intended for people who might live in an area that cannot get premium fuel.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Yup, there are no knock sensors on my 4.9 so if I use regular or even mid-grade I get knocking. Someone here (a knowledgeable man) once said that in summer it's more important to use the correct octane to prevent ping, but in the winter I might get away with using mid-grade. To play it safe I use premium even though it's almost 4 dollars a gallon!

well dont see my self gettin rid of my babe any time soon so i guess im just gonna tough out the seas till the gas comes back down thanks guys for the info

well dont see my self gettin rid of my babe any time soon so i guess im just gonna tough out the seas untill the gas comes back down thanks for the info
    i wanna save money but i dont wunna damage my car <=== this out weighs the other

thanks guys

sory bout the double post

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

I've run both regular and premium in my '91 DeVille with 200K. Haven't heard any pinging or knocking with regular, even when I've had to step on it. On a couple of occasions, there's been a little dieseling when I first turn off the ignition. Considering I'm spending $40+ every time I fill up, I'm reluctant to spring for premium if my 4.9 liter is running fine on regular.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.