4.1 Giving 3 codes...Need help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.1 Giving 3 codes...Need help in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I've got an 86 DeVille and its been acting up on me lately and this is the first time I ...
    Reddog_747 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

4.1 Giving 3 codes...Need help

I've got an 86 DeVille and its been acting up on me lately and this is the first time I have had to work on it. Whenever im driving down the road and let off the gas sometimes not all the time the service soon light will pop on and the car feels like it stalls a bit and sometimes it does just die. I did the onboard diagnostics throught the Climate Controll and i got 3 codes, E22 - Open TPS Signal, E52 - PCM Memory Reset, and E55 - Closed Throttle Angle Out Of Range. I searched on here and i couldnt find any threads talking about E22 so i was wondering what might cause the problem? Could it possibly be a bad TPS sensor or maybe a faulty wire? Next question is about E52 I looked at the list of codes stickied in this forum and it says see note by this code so i was wondering if anyone knew what that note was? And finally how do i adjust the closed throttle angle? Is it some how connected with the tps? Any help would be great, I am pretty mechanically inclined so i would like to fix this my self if at all possible! Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Reddog_747 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 4.1 Giving 3 codes...Need help

Just an update.....I ran the engin and was going throught the sensor values and the tps is showing a value of -7.7 at idle and i do belive that it should be up around 10 should it not? I know thats what it should be on my other car so maybe this is part of my problem?

Leeb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): did this once... 86 Deville, 86 300E, 78 R100rs

That's definately part of the problem... I believe it should be around 1 or so but negative is definately wrong. Might be an indication of that wire problem tho too..

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

In that list of codes, I see where it says to see note. I don't know what that note that is. However, that code (E52) will come up anytime the PCM loses battery power. Most likely the battery was disconnected at some time. I was going to say the E55 was from the throttle needing to be cleaned out. But, with the E22 and a -7.7 value, you have a problem with the TPS. Probably could still use a cleaning though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.