Need help trouble shooting my 92 deville. Alternator/MAP sensor/exhaust gas recirc.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Need help trouble shooting my 92 deville. Alternator/MAP sensor/exhaust gas recirc. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello there, Gotten plenty of tips through the form which I really appreciate. But I can't seem to find a ...
    Wheels1992 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 sedan deville (Dark Cherry)

Need help trouble shooting my 92 deville. Alternator/MAP sensor/exhaust gas recirc.

Hello there,
    Gotten plenty of tips through the form which I really appreciate. But I can't seem to find a thread that matches my current problem so I wanted to ask If anyone has ever experienced what I am now.
    Yesterday the car stalled/shut off while I was driving it. If I reattempt to start the vehicle it almost does turn over it may even start for a few seconds. After getting towed home I tried to start it this morning and it fired right up for about 6 minutes then shut down again. I thought it may be an alternator problem but I metered the battery and it seems to be getting power back to it as it is running. As my grandfather is the one who sold me the car I called him to ask if he had ever had similar problems. He said that he did and that he ended up replacing the fuel pump. I ran codes for and got E31 and E48 and E.E codes of E48 and F31. E31 denotes a shortened MAP sensor, while the E48 is a exhaust gas recirculation code. I am not sure what the F code means so any help on that would be great. Im trying to figure out which if any of these items would cause the car to start but not stay started and then refuse to even crank over for several hours after it shuts down. Thanks in advance for any help that you all can offer.
    __________________________________________________ _______

Good afternoon, Your CF account is activated. Please use the Profile and Settings tabs to update your profile to reflect proper birth date, approximate location, car owned and time zone - or do you really live in London - GMT ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: Need help trouble shooting my 92 deville. Alternator/MAP sensor/exhaust gas recir

We need more clarity. You say at the bottom of your post that it will not crank over for several hours. That's battery related. But above that you state it cranks over and might start? Cranks over means the battery and starter are OK. Not starting WHILE it cranks over can be spark or fuel. The codes are only accurate if they're current not history. We need to know that as well. The MAP sensor code gives us the best clue to cranking, starting then quitting. Without a MAP sensor reference, the car will start and quit. I guess I would start at visually inspecting the MAP sensor wiring and vacuum hose to it for a bare wire, poor connection or being unplugged altogether.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: Need help trouble shooting my 92 deville. Alternator/MAP sensor/exhaust gas recir

The diagnostics did it's job. It says you need a map sensor if the MAP wires aren't shorted. You should also check the EGR tubes under the TB and make sure they aren't plugged up. Ain't technology great? It tells you just what to do...............sometimes.

in response to your questions. after the car shut down the first time I attempted to restart it. the ignition would do its job but the car would not actually turn over. I returned to the vehicle almost 3 hours later and for shiggels i tried to start her up. To my surprise she did and stayed running for about 5 minutes. I drove the thing like half a mile and then it shut down again. At this point I towed it back to my home and let it sit over night. The next day I tried to start it again to see if it was doing the same thing. Once again the car started up. it ran for long enough for me to meter the battery to see if the alternator was working. roughly another 5-6 minutes. once the car stalls out on its own it will not turn back over until it has sat for a while.
    As for the codes The .E codes are the saved codes if Im correct, while the E.E codes are the current codes. so the E31 and E48 were saved codes while the E.E were the new ones which would be the E48 and the F31. I hope this helps to clarify the issue and once again thanks for your help.

Still confused! You say it wont crank over, that means either a dead battery or a faulty starter. That would not cause the car to quit. Cranking over and over and not firing, then eventually cranking over and starting is a whole different scenario! Clarify your descriptions. If a car is out of gas as an example, it will crank over but not start. If it does crank over and start, it has fuel and spark, in your case, 5 minutes. What did you find with the MAP sensor?

Sorry about the confusion. I turn the ignition and it acts like it wants to start, but will not start. Unless its been sitting for a few hours in which case it will start and run for a few minutes then shut off.
    I replaced the MAP and it is still doing the same thing.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Are you still getting a MAP code? I am wondering if the catalytic is clogged. That plays havoc with the vacuum and EGR. The vehicle would normally run badly with a bad cat before it wouldn't start altogether. Your issue sounds a little too sudden for a bad cat. You should check vacuum if you can get it to start again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels1992 View Post
    Sorry about the confusion. I turn the ignition and it acts like it wants to start, but will not start. Unless its been sitting for a few hours in which case it will start and run for a few minutes then shut off.
    I replaced the MAP and it is still doing the same thing.
    Thanks for clearing that up!

warnereg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan Deville

In my past expirience with a dodge (I know right?) It did the same thing a little more intermittent than in your case, it would shut down while going down the road and would crank with no start. If it sat and cooled down it would start up again and rum fine. In my case it was the pcm overheating and shutting down the injectors.

Hope this helps and good luck!

e2005z is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I also have an issue with my 92 deville,
    It started by doing back fire
    Took to mechanic i was told to replace egr valve which i did.
    Then it fix the problem for one day then there after
    The car start doing the backfire and now my votage on my akternator
    Drops to 12.2 when turning any eletrical item such as the window or anything else,
    I took the alternator to be tested and it passed all tests
    Of course this test was done in a autoparts store they run the bench test for less then a minute,
    I wonder what else can cause this voltage drop?
    Please any ideas?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.