Open or closed deck block
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Open or closed deck block in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; What are the 4.1-4.9's open or closed deck and is the dealer the only place to get new cylinder sleeves ...
    Formula94lt1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Open or closed deck block

What are the 4.1-4.9's open or closed deck and is the dealer the only place to get new cylinder sleeves for them? Anyone got pics of a bare 4.9 block from the top and the bottem of the mains? Thanks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Re: Open or closed deck block

Quote Originally Posted by Formula94lt1
    What are the 4.1-4.9's open or closed deck and is the dealer the only place to get new cylinder sleeves for them? Anyone got pics of a bare 4.9 block from the top and the bottem of the mains? Thanks...
    The 4.x engine cylinder sleeves should be available at the local engine rebuilder supply shops. I would imagine that dealerships have them too. When purchased, a matching piston is supplied (at least it was the last time I checked).

As for the deck configuration, the deck is wide open. The sleeves are free-standing with a rubber o-ring seal in the outer mid-section of the sleeve to ensure that no water can pass through. The o-rings are a dealer-only item when purchased seperate from the sleeves. When I last purchased a set of o-rings, the dealer was the only ones that had them ($8.00 per o-ring).

As for re-installing the sleeves, no machine pressing is required. All that is needed is that they're a.) put back in their original places (new sleeves are to replace the old sleeve in it's origianl spot), b.) care is taken to place them back in their respective holes, so as not to tear the o-rings c.) once installed, press them firmly by hand until they're all even, then place the cylinder head gasket then head on top of the sleeves then torque the heads down. This will seal the sleeves properly and without a machinist press.

A few things to remember when placing the sleeves back in:

Make sure that the sleeves are in their original holes in the block and that they're in their original orientation to the block. This will help to ensure that they're aligned correctly without any sealing issues. It is a good idea to mark the sleeve-to-block orientation with a strip of non-corrosive paint or similar marking utility. DO NOT gouge an orientation mark into the block and sleeve!

Make sure that the pistons are with their original sleeves! I cannot stress this enough. Do not mix 'n' match pistons and sleeves. Also make sure that the piston is aligned correctly to the block. This can be done by ensuring that the little notch on the top edge of the piston is facing the front of the engine.

When a new sleeve is needed, it is likely a good idea to make sure a new piston is supplied with the sleeve. Thus far, I have only seen where the piston is always supplied with the sleeve.

Should a new sleeve be purchased, you're going to have to make sure it is correctly aligned to the deck of the block. In all actuality, the sleeve should be a hair taller than the block deck. I'll find some specs on it later, but that's how it should be. It is best to measure the deck/sleeve height orientation before putting everything back together.

Any questions?

Formula94lt1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Sounds like you've done it a few times No more questions at present, thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by Formula94lt1
    Sounds like you've done it a few times No more questions at present, thanks man!
    Nope. Never done a single engine before...I've seen it done a million times though!

Yeah, you could say that I've had my hands in quite a few 4.x series engines. Either on a rebuild (my '87 Seville has a new 4.5 liter transplant, running with some ass!) or some sort of major repair. And you know what? People on this forum still think I'm a retard and that I know nothing about mechanical work or even automobiles!!!

I'll never get any respect here I think

91TexasSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by illumina
    Nope. Never done a single engine before...I've seen it done a million times though!

Yeah, you could say that I've had my hands in quite a few 4.x series engines. Either on a rebuild (my '87 Seville has a new 4.5 liter transplant, running with some ass!) or some sort of major repair. And you know what? People on this forum still think I'm a retard and that I know nothing about mechanical work or even automobiles!!!

I'll never get any respect here I think
    I don't think that of you... I appreciate your posts!

Leeb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): did this once... 86 Deville, 86 300E, 78 R100rs

Gee Illumina, I shore woulda liked to hear this when I started the 4.1 sleeve rehash thread....

There may be a problem w/ finding sleeves if you're looking for a 4.1, and don't EVEN bother trying Cadillac....

The 2 new ones my brother found for mine had numbers on them and although I don't remember it, I'll return in a day or two with the number they had on them, as well as the specs that aren't supplied in the service manual....

I don't have any pics of the 'hollow' block, but I'll try to make a couple and put them in the rehash thread as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Leeb
    Gee Illumina, I shore woulda liked to hear this when I started the 4.1 sleeve rehash thread....

There may be a problem w/ finding sleeves if you're looking for a 4.1, and don't EVEN bother trying Cadillac....

The 2 new ones my brother found for mine had numbers on them and although I don't remember it, I'll return in a day or two with the number they had on them, as well as the specs that aren't supplied in the service manual....

I don't have any pics of the 'hollow' block, but I'll try to make a couple and put them in the rehash thread as well...
    When I had to look for sleeves one time, a local engine rebuilder supply shop had them. The dealership at that time had them too, just far more expensive.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.