84 Seville headgasket or?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 83CADMAN
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 84 Seville headgasket or? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello everyone, I have been lurking here for last month as my Son purchased a sweet little Seville.. Cream puff ...
    gm-addict is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 84 Seville

84 Seville headgasket or?

Hello everyone, I have been lurking here for last month as my Son purchased a sweet little Seville.. Cream puff is what I call her.. I figured I should fill my brain with some cad info..

Anyhow just recently he had an overheat issue (thermostat) I assumed, of course we replaced yet.. Bad news is my milky brown oil.. Head gasket is of course my initial thought heh, he didn't like hearing that.

Anyhow head gaskets are in my blood I think, done many.. Mostly big block chevs. Never although have I torn down the 4.1 and outside typical head check, good gasket set I have read about coolant additive here after changing.. Any other tips or tricks you might be able to throw my way. What may I end up busting that I should be careful of? Figure I might as well do the water pump while its torn down.. It appears to be straight forward but those that have done know more than those that have not.. Oh and on the 4.1 should I use new head bolts? Opinions vary of course but wanted some opinions.

Thank you in advance

GM-addict

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

Re: 84 Seville headgasket or?

Youve got intake gasket failure, go online and search for a GM intake re-seal kit. It comes with a special gasket and new special bolts. Also check the lifter travel at no 1 cyl (front drivers side) prone to excessive wear (flat cam). I did my 83 eldo a couple years back, still runs great. That reminds me, time to change coolant.
    carnut likes this.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I agree! intake gasket failure. It probably overheated because the coolant went into the lifter valley never against the thermostat. No coolant at the thermostat will keep it from opening. Hopefully it wasn't leaking for weeks before it overheated. The coolant will ruin the cam and lifters in a matter of hours. Problem spots? the by pass pipe from water pump to intake manifold. Requires a delicate touch to get the pipe to slide into the water pump. I remove the coolant temp sensor above it, push the pipe into the manifold, packed with wheel bearing grease on the O rings leaving a small gap to place a screwdriver tip on the pipe. Then I insert a screw driver in the sensor hole and push the pipe forward into the water pump. There should be a fork like piece that slips over this pipe once installed to center it between manifold and water pump. Should come in the gasket set. Make sure the pipe surface is not pitted/ corroded as well as the passage in the intake manifold.

gm-addict is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 84 Seville

Sorry for the delay.. Thank you so much for the replies! Intake sounds a lot better to me than a head gasket.. With his limited budget (he just got enough money to tackle it) I really do not want to tear it down twice. So I am wanting to lean on the pro's knowledge of the 4.1 here and not tear down for a head gasket.. I also would rather not tear it down any further than I have to That being said.. The intake should be fairly straight forward, thank you for the tips on the water pump. Anything else I should know about the TBI, how far should I pull this apart or should I leave as much as possible intact and go after the intake? Thanks in advance, crossing fingers that its just an intake gasket, do not want to tear it down again. I also have attempted to find the re-seal kit and I can only find an orig GM part number 3634619.. I cannot seem to find the re-seal kit mentioned, could ya point me in the right direction? Thank you so much once again, he needs to learn but I would rather teach him on the old 340 buick I have on my engine stand over bending over his car "sighs with relief"

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

The intake manifold is similar to the 390/460 Ford V/8's. Half the head is cast into the intake manifold! Be gentle with removing/ reinstalling the valve train. Everything screws into aluminum, so having the service manual is important for torque values! I dont recall removing the TB at all. Nor the distributor. The intake gasket if failed will be eaten out around the front coolant crossover passages. Before pulling the intake verify all the rockers pivot the same angles as you spin the engine over with valve covers removed. If some barely rock, you have a flat lobe or lobes on the cam. STOP, get another engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.