Roaring Rattling Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Roaring Rattling Deville in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My 95 DeVIlle has a roaring and rattling sound as it starts to move and accelerate from idle. I dont ...
    vidot4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Roaring Rattling Deville

My 95 DeVIlle has a roaring and rattling sound as it starts to move and accelerate from idle. I dont hear it at speeds above 30 mph and when car is in Park. Pick up (i.e. acceleration) is excellent. Car has 75, 000 miles. COuld this be catalatic converter?? How much does something like this cost?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

adalla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Roaring Rattling Deville

Quote Originally Posted by vidot4
    My 95 DeVIlle has a roaring and rattling sound as it starts to move and accelerate from idle. I dont hear it at speeds above 30 mph and when car is in Park. Pick up (i.e. acceleration) is excellent. Car has 75, 000 miles. COuld this be catalatic converter?? How much does something like this cost?
    If you can hear it only at acceleration and it is more pronounced while driving up a hill it might be some body parts touching exhaust lines. I had that problem for two years until bbob advised to powerbrake it on a hoist. I was beneaf the car and instantly noticed that exhaust lines moved back and touched a bracket. The problem was solved in 5 seconds by bending the bracket by hand a little bit.

Powerbraking is putting car in D and increasing RPMs with brake applied FIRMLY.
    Because of inertia the powertrain and whole exhaust system moves back as a whole piece and can hit some body parts. I inspected everything under the car and all looked perfect. The gap between the bracket under the exhust line and the pie was some 3/4" but as soon as the car was powerbraked on the hoist everything mooved back just enough to touch the braket and resonate the whole car. As a result a terrible rattling noise....

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Also could be something like a broken motor mount causing something like the exhaust to hit when it's torqued under load, like acclerating. Do what adalla said and have a friend with you to figure out where the noise is coming from.

OnDaSlab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

im gettin a rattling noise from my 00 deville, wondering
    if you have fixed the problem.

i know i got a engine mount broken.
    but not sure its due to this.

crestviewpb is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Mine was the catalatic converter bad and insides rattleing around. Had a new one installed for 150.00. Sounds like new now

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.