1984 Eldorado code 15 won't start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 1984 Eldorado code 15 won't start in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Recurrent problem while driving was a loss of power while accelerating but was intermittent. After the car got to cruising ...
    Cajuncody is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Eldorado

1984 Eldorado code 15 won't start

Recurrent problem while driving was a loss of power while accelerating but was intermittent. After the car got to cruising temp it faded away. This occurred even if you warmed it up for 10 minutes before driving and generally happened under a load such as climbing a hill. Today the car was started to warm up and it struggled then died. Would not start after that. When attempting to restart I smelled gas so I assumed it was flooded as our ongoing assumption was a choke problem. I drove another car and tried again when I got home. Turns over, gas smell, no start. Like no fire. Pulled the codes and got soft codes of 15 and 30 with a hard code of 38. Car always shows 38 even two Mat sensors in and a new ECM. Car also has new TPS.
    According to Haynes we need to replace either the ESC sensor or the ESC module but the book does show what they look like or where they are nor does it give a good break down of symptoms. Cadillac mechanics are rare and we are fairly proficient shade tree mechanics. Any advice for us on location, diagnosis, or other enlightening thoughts would be welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

Re: 1984 Eldorado code 15 won't start

The HT4100 is cronicly inflicted with FLAT CAM SYNDROME. It will manifest as all kind of symptoms that tend to lead people to AZ or RA to spend all of their money on possible solutions, ie TPS, ISC, ICM, ECM...etc.
    I suguest pulling the drivers side valve cover and checking the rocker lift at #1 intake and exhaust. If the cam is good, go ahead with the systematac process of elimation and get the car going.
    If the cam is bad, you will never get it to perform right.
    Gas smell could be dead cyl?
    Replaced cam in my 83 a few years back and it's still running strong.
    To do it right requires special (reseal kit) intake manifold bolts and gasket.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 1984 Eldorado code 15 won't start

The ESC module is inside the distributor where older cars points were. you've made no mention of verifying spark. If no spark, I would check to make sure the ground strap is in between the coil and cap and if it is, swapping the module is easier than points replacement. Just make sure you apply heat sink paste under it!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.