Stripped Head Bolt Threads
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Stripped Head Bolt Threads in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; What do I need to repair stripped head bolt threads on a 1992 DeVille 4.9L ? I contacted Timeserts.com but ...
    Lacky is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Stripped Head Bolt Threads

What do I need to repair stripped head bolt threads on a 1992 DeVille 4.9L ? I contacted Timeserts.com but they do not have a kit for this engine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

derrty_deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac CDV 102k

Re: Stripped Head Bolt Threads

on the bolt or the block? replace the bolts and the block will need to be tapped at a machineshop. its a precision thing. cant be off

The head bolts threads in the aluminum block are stripped out on bolts 1-2-3 which torque at 90lbs. Didn't blow the gaskets but combustion gasses were getting into the cooling system. When replacing the heads I got to 40ft lbs. and the threads came out. I need to install thread inserts but don't know what to use. Timeserts seem to be preffered but I emailed Timeserts.com and they only have kits for the N-Star engines. I was hoping the blocks were the same but it seems they're not.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

I actually used helicoils in my '92 Deville. They held up great all the way till the end when the car was totalled by the guy who rearended me I've been through what you are experiencing right now man. It's frustrating to finally be on your way assembling the engine rather than disassembling and then strip out them threads. ? But anyway, you can get the correct size helicoils from probably anyone that sells helicoils. I'd also recommend getting new gaskets however...they have already been compressed from your installation and new ones will be needed. Good luck!

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

You might want to try posting this message on the other board.

www.caddyinfo.com

According to bbob, the 4.9 can be timeserted according to the following post

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.p...topic=4771&hl=

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

I would use the standard Timesert kit for an M12 x 1.75 bolt which is what the 4.9 head bolts were I think....

Those bolt holes were often repaired successfully with helicoils. Since they are larger bolts and are not as heavily stressed as the Northstar bolts the helicoils seem adequate and actually were an approved means of repair.

Personally, I would use the standard timesert kit, though.

Well I'm finally getting the 4.9 reassembled. For anyone with stripped head bolt threads on this engine, I would not suggest using Timeserts as there is not enough clearance in the bolt valley for the countersink tool or the lip on the insert itself. Had to grind the lip off to install them. Also had to drill the upper hole to allow the tap through. This has been a nightmare. About the time you think you've figured it out, something else rears it's ugly head. Kent-Moore has tools for this engine , part# J-29610 that may be the best way to go. I would have bought this if SPX.com would have been interested in selling me one. BTW bbob is correct on the bolt size - 12mmX1.75mm

jadz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS (4.9L, Black on Black)

What does the Kent-Moore J-29610 tool do /what is it, a helicoil insert kit?

I'm trying to find the tool on gmde.net (a SPX.com site) and also on http://servicesolutions.spx.com/welcome.html without much luck.

XXXXX,

The current cost on part number J-29610, engine thread repair kit is $841.66.

Sincerely,
    XXXXX

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

It looks like helicoils are recommended by GM. The Kent-Moore tool is a helicoil kit.

CBARTMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I used Heli coils on mine, and they held fine. I forget what the heli coil kit was but it was about $150 or so, for the insert tool and coils

beveluv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Deville

CBARTMAN, Where were you able to find your Heli Coil kit for your 4.9L? I have been searching everywhere for this kit. I just need to heli coil 1 bolt hole.

I'll check to see how many coils are left in my kit (which I'm willing to sell).

MrEldo97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Can you helicoil a 4.9 with the motor still in the car or must you drop the cradle to do so (like the Northstar).
    I Timeserted the Northstar in my '97 Eldorado and I've recently been considering selling my '97 and picking up a '90 or '91 with a 4.9.

Any advice?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.