Stripped Head Bolt Threads - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Stripped Head Bolt Threads in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; You can do it with the engine in the car. Check out http://jadz.com/2007/01/24/cadillac-...sket/#more-431...
    jadz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS (4.9L, Black on Black)

Re: Stripped Head Bolt Threads

You can do it with the engine in the car.

Check out http://jadz.com/2007/01/24/cadillac-...sket/#more-431

MrEldo97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Thank you.

There is plenty of room to get tools in there to install inserts and so on? What about studs? Enough room, perhaps, for studs? I ask because I'm seriously considering dumping my '97 Eldo for a '89 to '91 Eldo because my Northstar has been such a pain in the a**. As nice a motor as it is I'm sick of the bull s**t I've put up with from it.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 FWD fleetwood, '93 fleetwood Bro

The factory manual for my '85 shows all the inserts, tools etc for repairing the stripped threads. Looks like it would be a real project to do a major overhaul on one of these engines, specially if it need a bunch of the holes fixed.

jadz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS (4.9L, Black on Black)

I purchased the official Cadillac engine took kit that had the helicoils and all the tools required to do it. It was probably the easiest part of doing the whole job....

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by jadz View Post
    I purchased the official Cadillac engine took kit that had the helicoils and all the tools required to do it. It was probably the easiest part of doing the whole job....
    I hope you meant Timeserts.

MrEldo97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

I Timeserted a Northstar would a 4.9 be easier?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I think the 4.9 might be able to be done in the car.

gmp428 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Brougham

Gents,
    I've had the pleasure of having to throw heli coils into a 4.9 while still in the car. All the threads i had to fix were thankfully on the side closer to the radiator. I dont think you'd be able to repair any on the opposite side with the limited room back there. Getting the propper tools to get the job done, was the hardest part of the install. If i can remember correctly you have to drill out the threads with a 31/64 drill bit, then tap the threads with the appropriate tap, then use the insert tool to insert the heli coils. it honestly took me about 2 weeks to find all these tools. drill bits had to be bought online, a 9in 31/64th is non existent in any local hardware store. the tap and the insert tool were bought online as well. the insert tool i bought was a 4 inch long platic t-handle looking thing. so i had to cut off the handle, and ghetto fabricate a way to make it longer so that it could reach the threads deep in the block. finding half inch long helicoils took an entire week of calling every fastener shop in the state, and i had to buy a bag of fifty. its been about a year and a half since ive done this but i would be more than willing to give any advice to anyone who has to knock this out. in my personal opinion; id do it to every head bolt, because they are all extremely weak. im pretty sure i still have the tap tool, and plenty of heli coils for anyone who is interested. if you guys have any questions about the process, email me at gmp428@yahoo.com. ill post on here later the exact tools and sizes needed once i check my FSM. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

beveluv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Deville

I helicoiled 2 head bolt holes on the back side of my 4.9 while the engine was still in the car with no problem. Yes getting the drill bit and tap extension were a pain to find. Note the the bolt holes that had the problem were on the rear head, but it was two of the upper holes (two of the 3 that call for the highest torque. I dont think the lower holes can be done inside the car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.