Removing cat-converter...good idea or no?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Removing cat-converter...good idea or no? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Just wondering what would happen if I remove the cat converter and replace it with a pipe of its length ...
    Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

Removing cat-converter...good idea or no?

Just wondering what would happen if I remove the cat converter and replace it with a pipe of its length and some clamps?

Ive got the most horrible rattling noise when the car idles...and I know for sure that its comming from the converter..

Anyone out there done it already to a 4.9?...will it effect the gasmileage or computer any?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Re: Removing cat-converter...good idea or no?

Besides any legal troubles with inspections, it will improve the flow of the exhaust. You may get better mileage as well. The universal cats are cheap, why not put one in?

dunno...thought about it but free seems better then cheap im just wondering if itll play havoc on the computer sys, im not in the mood ever to see a check engine light etc...

damn...i really need to scrap to get that dynomax

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Only OBD2 cars will know the difference. Some EGR valves are calibrated with a certain amount of backpressure (aka , the positive and negative backpressure EGR valve types) and will open at the wrong time causing some potential drivability issues.

Most are positive types. Meaning it takes a certain amount of pressure to even allow the valve to start to open, lose the pressure and EGR doesn't function often at all, so pinging might start to occur. So then you have to run higher octane or reducing timing, often at the expense of what you were trying to gain.

So, if it works, leave it alone, if not, then take the chance, if it fails to work well, then put one back in....

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

You might try disconnecting and plugging the vacuum hose that goes to the EGR to find out whether or not it pings.

I've got my EGR disconnected and it doesn't ping even with 3 degrees advance and the cheap 87 octane gas.

Instead of removing the cat. How about rodding it out. You can lower the cat by unbolting it from the collecters. Take a large hammer/rod and break up the honey comb innerds. Once finished, connect the hollow cat back up. Start the engine up and rev it several times and watch all the junk fly out the end of the exhaust pipe. You might want to disconnect the muffler before doing this since your wouldn't want all the junk to end up in there.

hmm that sounds like an idea...im starting to smell a faint gas smell and I know for a fact its comming from the Cat..i may try that suggestion...sounds like my best bet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.