URGENT!! Muffler?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, URGENT!! Muffler? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey guys, I'm almost definately going to the All-GM show at Carlisle in a few weeks and I wanted to ...
    cruella89deville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

URGENT!! Muffler?

Hey guys,

I'm almost definately going to the All-GM show at Carlisle in a few weeks and I wanted to get the car a little modded before then. One of the things I wanted to do was a muffler. At the local Advanced Auto Parts there's a few mufflers there. There's a Dynomax and a Thrush Turbo. Are either of those any good? What I want is an assertive idle, louder than stock (but not annoyingly loud) mid-range, but an alomst stock kind of overdrive / highway sound. Will either of these give me this? I just want to replace the muffler, then theres like 4 inches of bent rubing then the tip. That's what I'm changing (for now). Eventually I want to really get something fully custom made. but this will hold me for a year or so. What muffler have been the best for your cars? I have the 4.5. The car is an 89 sedan. Hit me back ASAP please so I can get this underway.

THANKS!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DrDave is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: URGENT!! Muffler?

I have a 40 series flowmaster deltaflow, sounds goood on the outside, but I find the interior resonance annoying compared to stock.

Yeah. I don't really want any of that. lol. Heck, I had a Honda before this with the muffler and it was so loud. A few days after we got it we went to a car meet in Maryland and drove there and back from Pennsylvania. Highways were so bad. lol. So loud. So the 40 sounds good but it's loud on the inside? hmm...

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

The Flowmaster DeltaFlow 50's are quiet. I installed one on mine and it didn't make any difference in interior noise.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Most cars have a resonator, which is almost like a secondary muffler. If yours has it leave it in since it helps a lot with highway drone.

DrDave is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Yeah I don't have the resonator on anymore-- Edahall: Do you have the resonator on with the 50 series?

No resonator on mine but it does have a catalytic converter.

Well I got the Dynomax today. It's the super turbo with the offset input tube and the centered output tube. It has 2 1/2 inlets and outlets. Is tha tthe correct size? It seemed like the 2 1/4 was too small. Before I went to the shop I wrapped my fingers around the tube and it fitted more like the 2 1/2 size. Any input into the size? On friday maybe, I'm getting it installed. I'm getting it done at the same shop I always go to. Real good work. We'll see...

Yes, the 2 1/2" is the correct size.

You might want to consider using clamps to install the muffler rather than have it welded. It is very easy to do and costs a few bucks for the clamps. And if for some reason you ever want to remove the muffler, it is very easy if it is clamped on.

Here's some pictures of my installation.

Everything looks stock for that stealthy look. Looks like those new wheels and tires raised my car about 1/2"

TwinCreek is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just finished putting the Dynomax muffler on my 90 Deville. It is a little loud under part throttle and wide open throttle but it has a nice idle sound. At cruising speed it quiets up. I put it on with clamps so I can change it if I want. I yet have to straighten out the pipe ahead of the muffler because the tips don't come out right on one side. One benefit is that the engine breaths easier and I have more power. My wife thinks its too loud and my son just loves it.

TwinCreek is offline Cadillac Owners Member

P.S. The 2 1/2" in, 2-1/2" out is the proper size muffler. If you got it from Summit Racing, there is a 25.00 rebate on it this month!

Yeah, I saw that in summit. but I figured I'd eat the rebate and just get it at my local shop so I can have in with me and get it installed on friday.

Thanks for the info guys!!

I'm nervous. lol. I'm getting my exhaust put in in like 7 hours. I hope I like it. We'll see. From what I hear, it shoudl be what I expect. How do you upload sound clips to the internet for y'all to check out? Anyone know...?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.