Possible Seville Engine Swap
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Possible Seville Engine Swap in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; The Victim: A Grey & Black 1983 Cadillac Seville, In excellent condition. It's the ultimate luxury car, I love the ...
    FunkyPizzaMan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Possible Seville Engine Swap

The Victim:
    A Grey & Black 1983 Cadillac Seville, In excellent condition. It's the ultimate luxury car, I love the solid american steel and beastly size. Best of all: The seats are so big & comfortable! The previous owner garaged it after about 40,000 miles in the mid 80's, and was driven less than 1,500 miles until 1998, when it came into my possession. It runs smoothly, and has not needed any work. However, I do Have one major problem with this car. It's Horribly UnderPowered! And so, I'm going to attempt to correct this blaring defect. Acceleration to 60 MPH can take as long as 15 seconds, And It's never topped 100MPH. I would like a 0-60 time of more like 10 seconds; with a maximum speed of, hopefully, 130+ MPH.
    And the opportunity may have just appeared.

So, heres the deal:
    I've been offered A Chevrolet LT-1 Engine and the stock transmission to which it was mated, for a mere 450$. The Engine+Tranny were recentely pulled from A Co-workers 1993 Z28 Camaro. It's in very good condition, was used for about 57,000 miles, and has never needed repair. It has seen some heavy use, however, from the owners occassional drag racing.

Alright, So My Question Is:
    Can An LT-1 Engine & Transmission be mounted In A 1983 Seville? Yes? No? PLEASE respond as to Why, or Why Not. I would like to research all aspects of this project. If either the Engine or Transmission can be used, then which? if the engine is compatible, but the transmission is not, what transmissions are compatible with both the 1983 seville's mounts and the 350Ci LT1 engine? If the engine is unusable, but the transmission is, do any other engines exhist that are compatible with both the transmission and the car's engine mounts?

Also, I Am willing to make modifications to the body in order accomidate this combo. The tranny is A manual, I believe, but even so, I would have no problem cutting A compartment in the floor for A shifter. Can the engine compartment be modified to accept this engine? If so, What kind of changes would be needed? And also with the transmission, what changes would be needed to mount it? I would not mind replacing the exhaust, fuel, and drivetrain systems to comply with the LT1. As for tires, can you recommend any good tires made for high performance vehicles?

Thank You For Your Time,
    -Bryn Smith

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Re: Possible Seville Engine Swap

You could use the Chebby with one of those transmission adaptor happy plates. There would be a number of brackets which would have to be fabricated out of thin air + a custom oil pan. I'd also be worried about having a place to put the starter motor.
    Here is a link to someone who has done a bunch of swaps. Cory was a regular on the Cadillac Mailing List and has put his time in on these. 2 lessons are: get a whole donor vehicle so you will have all the little stuff and it takes time to get the right parts together.

http://www.eldocountry.com/eldo/swap.html

If I were going to do one of these the choice would be a TH425 trans with 500 power. It HAS been done but really takes some work.

FunkyPizzaMan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks alot ApeMan. I'll look into that. More information on what would be needed to use the LT1, I want to go with the LT1 becaase i can get it for so cheap. and use his garage to do most of the labor. And, he might trade me a supercharger for the LT1 for a set of Odyssey BMX wheels i no longer use, so please people, i want all your opinions on this project!

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Make sure you get all the wiring and electronics! You will need to add a high pressure fuel pump, a GN Regal pump likely will work in your tank, but you may need the full assembly that it mounts too.

Sounds like a great swap if you ask me. Exhaust will be a chore, as it may exit in the wrong location for this car. Check the B/D Body manifolds, they exit higher than the F Body. You may also check the truck and Corvette manifolds too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.