4.5 Performance?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.5 Performance? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was wondering if there's any links to sites or manufacturers or anything that make any go-fast goodies for the ...
    cruella89deville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

4.5 Performance?

I was wondering if there's any links to sites or manufacturers or anything that make any go-fast goodies for the 4.5. Or, even if performance goodies could be bought for the 4.9 and be used on the 4.5. Before I got my Deville I was in the honda scene and I know you could interchange parts like mad. I know the Deville won't be a performance machine, but I want a little more oomph from it. Obviously you can use universal parts like mufflers and a performace filter (I got a Fram Air Hog)...but I mean parts like headers, shift kits, anything more "muscle car" like. I don't know...I'm just shooting ideas.

BTW: Hit up my post in this area about exhaust. I want to get one SOON!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Re: 4.5 Performance?

You can bump the timing a few degrees for some extra power. Also like you said, an aftermarket free flowing muffler helps somewhat. Yes, there are shift kits such as one made by Transgo. I installed one on mine but it just about requires a complete transmission overhaul to install it. It does make it shift a lot more crisp though. Tests have shown that aftermarket filters don't do much other than let more dust into the engine. I can provide you with the information if you're interested. If you want more power than this it'll take much more modifications such as installing a turbo. Refer to the first thread "The 4.9 turbocharger 1st stage thread" for more information.

The 4.5 came from the factory with headers.

Quote Originally Posted by Edahall
    The 4.5 came from the factory with headers.
    Do you mean "performance oriented" ones? All cars have headers. lol.

:rolleyes2

But sweet info so far though. lol.

:coolgleam

Sure, you can have a set of custom headers made for this engine from www.stans-headers.com

How much power increase are you looking for and how much do you want to spend?

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Quote Originally Posted by Edahall
    Sure, you can have a set of custom headers made for this engine from www.stans-headers.com

How much power increase are you looking for and how much do you want to spend?
    You're full of all kinds of interesting information dude! I'll check these header guys out sometime.

And as for the turbocharger, the ONLY thing that is still bothering me is fuel. I really don't know if I should run TBI injectors for extra fuel or what...Edahal, if you have any ideas on that one, post it in the turbo thread...The sooner I figure this thing out, the sooner it shall be done...Back to the researching board

That man does have some info. lol.

Could you maybe use a bigger throttle body or use some sorta universal parts internally. Not quite universal, but some pushrods or anything of that nature?

I'm still not sure what I want to do quite yet... I mean, I bought the DeVille for 2 grand and it would seem kinda dumb to go spend mad cash on a 2k car. lol. Like the rims I want, Torq-Thrust II's in chrome and only 16 inchers. White tires it's over a grand. That's over half the price of my car. Crazy. I do want to keep the options open though because if I do go with the DeVille I want a good basis of information.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.