ht4100 bars leaks crap help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, ht4100 bars leaks crap help in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; The previous owner of the 85 eldo had a bad heater core(now bypassed)and real bad radiator so they put the ...
    fullserviceman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Fleetwood Brougham

Question ht4100 bars leaks crap help

The previous owner of the 85 eldo had a bad heater core(now bypassed)and real bad radiator so they put the bars leaks rabbit terds in. How many bottles I do not know but the antifreeze was brown as well as every other component. I replaced the water pump and the radiator, ran coolant flush twice and have ran plain water for 2 months changing it near daily. still getting brown crap so what do you recommend? and I am guessing theres no need for coolant supplement being there is 20 years worth of other stuff in there? Let me know I just wanna replace the heater core that is bypassed and fill it up with 50/50 and let it go..... not sure what else to do

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SoundAdvantage is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 87 Deville

Re: ht4100 bars leaks crap help

If they used the pellets they used the wrong bars leak product in the engine.

They should have used either the GM coolant tabs or bars leak "GOLDEN SEAL" Powder, it comes in a tube and takes two tubes to seal against any Internal Coolant Leaks inside the engine.

If you want to flush the engine block just pull the bottom radiator hose and let it drain then use air pressure or a shop vac outlet to push the trapped coolant from the block.

Refill with fresh 50/50 green coolant/distilled water and add two tubes of the bars leak "Golden Seal" and your done.

Trouble is I have flushed it and flushed it and flushed it again just cant get rid of the stuff wondering if it will hurt anything because i cant get any more out.

AElayyat is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS

First thing is to make sure that all of the cooling system leaks are fixed. Then replace your heater core.

Are you flushing the system with just water?? If so you should use the cooling sytem flush you pick up from any auto part store. Make sure to follow the directions on the cooling sys flush, get rid of the coolant in the system (which sounds like you already did), run water and the flush until engine is at normal operating temp (usually for about 10 min). Flush that out do the same thing again but with water and put the coolant in there.

Good luck.

Did the prestone flush a couple times the stuff is still there there are no leaks but the heater core is by passed. Will the crap which has coated my new radiator and everything else hurt anything at this point? Do I need cooling supplement being that even though its the wrong stuff there is still alot of it in there?

adalla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by fullserviceman
    Did the prestone flush a couple times the stuff is still there there are no leaks but the heater core is by passed. Will the crap which has coated my new radiator and everything else hurt anything at this point? Do I need cooling supplement being that even though its the wrong stuff there is still alot of it in there?
    Stop flushing ... just refill it as soundadvantage advised and you should be fine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.