1990 4.5 needs new injectors
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 1990 4.5 needs new injectors in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; A friend's car is running very rough; no power. Dealer claims that some injectors are drawing too much current and ...
    BillW is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1990 4.5 needs new injectors

A friend's car is running very rough; no power.
    Dealer claims that some injectors are drawing too much current and blowing the fuse(s) for that cylinder bank. They also recommend replacing the brain because that may be damagerd now.

We have found refurbished injectors for $220 for 8, and will get a new brain.
    Sound about right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Re: 1990 4.5 needs new injectors

Ummm isn't the 4.5 TBI? That means 2 injectors not 8. Am I wrong about that. My 89' 4.5 is TBI and I don't think I've ever see a 4.5 that's not. If that's the case you should be able to buy NEW injectors for around $125 ea.

Brain being ECM? These cars have several on-board computers so be careful how you word that when you're looking for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by BillW
    A friend's car is running very rough; no power.
    Dealer claims that some injectors are drawing too much current and blowing the fuse(s) for that cylinder bank. They also recommend replacing the brain because that may be damaged now.

We have found refurbished injectors for $220 for 8, and will get a new brain.
    Sound about right?

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Never waste money on "refurbished" injectors. That means you got someone elses junk injector that go cleaned. Nothing more.

Go to http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsTPI.asp

Bosch Injectors - 0280150556 D5B-19lb*
    8/Set: $198.50

These are what I put in my 91 4.9L, worked great. As you can see by looking around, this injector works well on a majority of the engines out there, from TPI Vettes/F bodies, to Mustang V8's to GM and Ford V6's, even Dodge V8's and V6's.

Price is up, I bought mine 1.5 years ago at $157 for a set of 8. His warranty is second to none.

up to 89 was TBI, 90 4.5L and 91-95 4.9L were nearly identical in all aspects save the crankshaft. There were almost no differences (ok, the valve covers too....)

TwinCreek is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just put in 19 lb Accell injectors in my 90 Deville. I got them from Jegs for about $250.00 for a set. They work well and I actually get better gas mileage. I tried "refurbished" injectors previously. They started failing in three months. Never buy "refurbished" injectors.

2-tone is offline Cadillac Owners Member

got a set of injectors out of a 4.6 ford in a crown vick out of the junkyard. paid $35.00 for them. Just make shure that when ya pull them that they have fresh fuel comeing out of them.-B-

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Some new injectors have better spray patterns, so I am not surprised why you see better fuel economy. Maybe that is why my 4.9L did so well. As high as 29.7 on the highway for 350 miles. Even back and forth to worth I was seeing 22-26 on the monitor, which meant 21-25. Which isn't too bad for city/highway driving.

Look for the ones with 6 small holes, they are some of the best spray. But make sure the engine they are for matches ports to what you have, (aka, don't use a 3.4L DOHC injector!) as you don't want to be washing the port walls with fuel.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.