Knock
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Knock in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I realize there's a few zillion threads about knock in 4.x motors, but I haven't seen any yet that do ...
    Ghost C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special

Knock

I realize there's a few zillion threads about knock in 4.x motors, but I haven't seen any yet that do the same thing that mine does.

When started cold after not running for a few days, it'll make horrible loud noises for 10-20 seconds, then it'll go away. If let idle for 5-10 minutes, it comes back but nowhere near as bad, nearly inaudible, you have to stick your ear right down in the engine bay to even hear it, but if I leave it idle for another 10 minutes or so after that, it completely goes away and the engine sounds as healthy as the day I first heard it 12 years ago.

Note that the gas in the car is not the greatest, there is EGR buildup, and the car sat for nearly a year without being started up until about 5 months ago.

Besides the obvious gas/egr problems, what else could this be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DrDave is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Knock

One time, my fuel pump fuse blew, and left me stranded (didnt know what it was). I pushed it into a parking space (engine off), and came back the next morning, after letting it sit overnight. Well, it had the loudest most horrible clacketing/lifter whatever noise in the engine it's ever made. This continued 5-10 minutes, as I grit my teeth the entire time wondering if I should let it run or shut it off. Well, after idling it around the lot a little bit, in 10 minutes it went away, and has never come back. There were about 50,000 mi on the new engine at that point.

The only thing I can think of, is that maybe pushing the car (with engine off) may have drained a lot of oil out of the lifters (dont ask how), or maybe something got out of adjustment. Not sure if I put it in neutral, drive, or a combination of both while pushing it into the space. Maybe oil pump wasn't working while pushing, I dunno.

Bottom line, is maybe it had to do with the oil--could have got sludged up and is blocking oil from getting to the lifters, who knows. Maybe try changing the oil, and if that works, change it again within 1000 or so miles.

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Re: Knock

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost C
    there is EGR buildup, and the car sat for nearly a year without being started up until about 5 months ago.Besides the obvious gas/egr problems, what else could this be?
    Well dude, you've pretty much just answered the question to your own problem. Fix those problems first and see if it goes away. If you need help on the correct EGR cleaning procedure, either myself or someone else will surely be glad to help. Also check your timing and such: you can never be too careful.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.