how common are coolant leaks in 4.9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, how common are coolant leaks in 4.9 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My '92 Sedan deVille has a coolant leak, it leaked some, but now it leaks less due to the pellets ...
    I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

how common are coolant leaks in 4.9

My '92 Sedan deVille has a coolant leak, it leaked some, but now it leaks less due to the pellets we put in. If i remember correctly, it leaked around the intake manifold, but i may be wrong. I've heard this is a problem with all these 4.x series aluminum block V8's (its funny to note that my friend's 1993 Nissan Maxima SE leaks coolant also, its 3.0 Liter 24valve V6 is all aluminium also)

And did cadillac ever refer to the 4.9 Liter as the 4900 like the 3800 V6 or 4100 V8?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: how common are coolant leaks in 4.9

ok, last night i came home after just cruising around, and i smelled this terrible smell of vast amounts of coolant burning and leaking, so after my jog this morning, i came home and found a large puddle of coolant under my car. this is bad, i cant determine where its coming from. Any help please!!

adalla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792
    ok, last night i came home after just cruising around, and i smelled this terrible smell of vast amounts of coolant burning and leaking, so after my jog this morning, i came home and found a large puddle of coolant under my car. this is bad, i cant determine where its coming from. Any help please!!
    Where is the puddle located (with respect to the engine)?

below the serpentine belt, we found the leak (HOPEFULLY the only one!!!) it's on the front end of the block, near the firewall, its a little tiny hole. I guess when aluminium gets hot, it expands, and gets tons of little holes in it, my father is a diesel mechanic, but he still knows lots about cars, so he figures that i should go down to napa tomorrow, and get a can of this stop leak stuff made specifically for aluminium engines, this stop leak apparently is tons of aluminum shavings in a liquid form that will go inside the cooling system and block this leak from the inside. And if you were wondring, we have put the GM Seal tablets in the coolant system probably 2 months ago. If this isnt the only problem and (GOD FORBID!!!) we have a problem with the intake manifold gasket or head gasket, i'll be taking my savings account, and my graduation money and going out to buy another car ('78 Eldorado, Mark V or an Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency Elite). But hopefully the caddy stands strong and will last another 120k miles!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.