no power /bad mileage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, no power /bad mileage in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i'm having trouble with my 90 sedan deville. i have to start my 4.5 5 or 6 times to run. ...
    daddyscaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question no power /bad mileage

i'm having trouble with my 90 sedan deville. i have to start my 4.5 5 or 6 times to run. also no power under 35 mph.codes: a.i.r. injection reaction system fail.getting 11 mpg any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: no power /bad mileage

If you could give us some more details on whats going on......

Do you have black smoke coming from the tailpipe???

Kinda sounds like a misfiring cylinder.......

daddyscaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    no black smoke, no power. i got 7 injectors changed and it ran great. i was laying rubber w/out e-brake, now i punch it and it laughs at me

Well if its injectors again then it should throw a code....

Please do an OBD......

Well if its injectors again then it should throw a code....

Please do an OBD...... Tell us what codes come up (this makes life so much easier!!!!!)

DeVillish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The AIR system is...GRRRRRR...on my car(90 coupe). Check the oneway valves and hoses/tubes, make sure the tubes arnt blocked and conected right. Also that the oneway valves only go one way(blow into the ends). Check that the pump is working, squize the hose coming from the pump with the engine on, it should have a pulse, have someone rev the engine up a little, the pulse should incress too. If all that is working, i cant help ya cause thats all i know. On my car, the tube going to the front exaust manifold broke off and left half the threads in the manifold(and i cant get it out! ) and my car gets 11mpg and runs like crap too. But it starts right up.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille
    I'm Thinking Plugged Cat. Converter. If The Previous Failed Injectors Flooded The Converter, That Would Super Heat It And Damage The Grid Inside. I Would Disconnect The Converter And See If Power Returns. Also A Good Muffler Shop Could Confirm Or Not. Air Injection Code Might Set If No Air Is Blowing Thru It. Just A Guess? Hope This Helps, Bill.

That didnt occur to me...... Yes, if the car ran really rich for an extended period (like a few months), the cat is probably shot....... I bet its all melted and gooey inside.....

Id remove the cat and see what happens......

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre
    We had a car that had problems with an airflow sensor. It went bad twice and both times I remember it being a bit harder to start and it ran like crap. It ran so bad that you'd think there was something wrong with the engine. Something else to consider.

If the air injection is the air pump stuff, I seem to remember that it doesn't actually pump air into the engine or exahust all the time. I don't know what would happen if something went wrong with it and it did.

Probably the best thing you can do is get a shop to check it to see what they think it is. And if you find out tell us so that we know

He's right..... Its almost nearly impossible to diagnose this over the internet.....

The "air pump" you are talking about is probably the IAC, or idle air control....... It controls the amount of air coming in at idle (funny how that works... ) to maintain a good idle speed.....

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre
    I just checked, and the air pump stuff I'm thinking about is the Air Injection Reaction System.

The IAC, that's in the air filter housing or the throttle body right? I think I know what you're talking about

IAC should be just upstream of the TB butterfly.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.