missing 4100 engine, 1988
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, missing 4100 engine, 1988 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My car is having problems and after weeks trying to find the problem, I was thinking maybe someone here has ...
    allante88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

missing 4100 engine, 1988

My car is having problems and after weeks trying to find the problem, I was thinking maybe someone here has seen this one.

The 4100 engine, runs strong, but misses at idle just a little bit, always. It does not go away. However, when I activate the A/C, the missing increases or maybe it just feels like it increases because I can feel it more. I tend to notice the missing when she warms up and not so much when cold in the first 5 minutes.

On occasion, not always, but only when cold, the engine almost feels like she wants to choke and load up when I accelerate. I don't see black smoke when this happens. When this happens, it goes away in a few seconds and does not repeat until another day.

I check the codes twice a day, and there are no current codes.

She got new plugs, fluids, hoses and belts about 6 months ago.

If anyone has suggestions specially if this problem has been encountered, I would appreciate a response.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bob2231 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: missing 4100 engine, 1988

Quote Originally Posted by allante88
    My car is having problems and after weeks trying to find the problem, I was thinking maybe someone here has seen this one.

The 4100 engine, runs strong, but misses at idle just a little bit, always. It does not go away. However, when I activate the A/C, the missing increases or maybe it just feels like it increases because I can feel it more. I tend to notice the missing when she warms up and not so much when cold in the first 5 minutes.

On occasion, not always, but only when cold, the engine almost feels like she wants to choke and load up when I accelerate. I don't see black smoke when this happens. When this happens, it goes away in a few seconds and does not repeat until another day.

I check the codes twice a day, and there are no current codes.

She got new plugs, fluids, hoses and belts about 6 months ago.

If anyone has suggestions specially if this problem has been encountered, I would appreciate a response.

Thanks
    I've never had this problem with a Cadillac, but have with other cars I've owned. I notice you didn't mention replacing the plug wires, just the plugs.
    The wires need replaced periodically. I had an old Pontiac that got worse over time and a friend suggested I open the hood in the dark and look. There were so many "arc jumps" from the wires to the exhaust manifolds it looked like a Tesla ball.
    Bob

allante88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob2231
    I've never had this problem with a Cadillac, but have with other cars I've owned. I notice you didn't mention replacing the plug wires, just the plugs.
    The wires need replaced periodically. I had an old Pontiac that got worse over time and a friend suggested I open the hood in the dark and look. There were so many "arc jumps" from the wires to the exhaust manifolds it looked like a Tesla ball.
    Bob
    hey Bob,

not sure what a tesla ball is, but when i tried your suggestions tonight, i was provided with one awsome light show under the hood.

trails of blue light around the distributor cap, from the wires to the tubing, to other wires, to the manifold, pretty nice show if someone will ask. But probably not too healthy for the combustion.

this is at least part of the problem, and maybe the whole problem.

any specific recommendations on wires for a caddy?

thanks

ellives is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '76 Eldo convertible, 97' STS Z-rated, '02 STS

hey Bob,

not sure what a tesla ball is, but when i tried your suggestions tonight, i was provided with one awsome light show under the hood.

trails of blue light around the distributor cap, from the wires to the tubing, to other wires, to the manifold, pretty nice show if someone will ask. But probably not too healthy for the combustion.

thanks
    A tesla ball is one of those glass globes you've seen in stores like Spencers and Brookstones with an electrode in the middle of the globe and electrical arcs shooting from the electrode out to the perimeter of the globe. The arc follows whereever you touch your finger to the globe.

Ells

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
    Plasma ball:

bob2231 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

hey Bob,

thanks
    Hi,
    I think you're right. You've found at least part of the problem. And most likely this is all that's wrong. If you're not getting error codes then it's probably just a basic tune up sort of thing.
    Since you already did plugs and some other things, how about getting a rotor, dist. cap and wires. Then you have a pretty fresh system as far as the basics go. Most people here would recommend original equipment wires, cap and all. I think that's a good idea. The originals lasted all this time, right ?
    Something else people here suggest, make sure you route the new wires exactly like the old ones. Use all the looms and retainers, and if you break one, don't ignore it. Get a replacement. This stuff runs so close to the motor that if you miss on location you'll cook the insulation and be right back where you started with arc jump.
    Just get good parts, be careful how you install them, and most likely you'll have a smooth running engine again.
    Bob

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille
    I Agree, Gm Parts For A Gm Car!. Also Apply Dielectric Grease To Cap Terminals And Plug Boots. Keeps Moisure Out And Easier To Remove Wires From Plugs Down The Road. Good Luck, Bill.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.