P085 ....... Idle Throttle Angle Too High
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By BeelzeBob
  • 2 Post By BeelzeBob
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, P085 ....... Idle Throttle Angle Too High in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 1994 Cadillac DeVille 4.9 The Service Engine Soon light went on while I was driving. When I pulled over and ...
    johnp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

P085 ....... Idle Throttle Angle Too High

1994 Cadillac DeVille 4.9
    The Service Engine Soon light went on while I was driving. When I pulled over and did a code search I got a P085. Any recommendations for a fix would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Re: P085 ....... Idle Throttle Angle Too High

This seems to be a pretty normal problem. Do a search for it there are a lot of posts around here about it.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

It means that the throttle body is dirty and the deposits in the throttle bores are restricting air flow at idle to the point that the idle speed control has no more authority to maintain the correct idle speed.

Take the air cleaner off, hold the throttle wide open and look down the throttle bores. Spray the throttle bores with carb cleaner and scrub the bores and backside of the throttle blades with an old toothbrush. Cleaning the deposits off the bores and throttle blade backsides it will restore the idle air flow to the correct level. When the throttle body is clean, disconnect the battery negative cable for 60 seconds to reset the idle learn offsets to the "clean throttle body" default values.

While you are in the throttle body and looking down the bores....see the two tubes sticking up at you from the intake manifold floor just below the throttle blades...??? Those are the EGR tubes and they are NOT supposed to be full of carbon and crud. Rod them out thoroughly with a piece of stiff wire to remove the deposits. Go all the way down thru the tubes to the cast passage below and make sure that they are clean and unrestricted so that the proper amount of EGR can flow.

johnp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thank you Bbobinsky.....Followed your advice and it worked like a charm !

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Occasionally I guess and get one right....LOL.

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS

I know this is an old thread but I used this info when my service engine light. I was able to fix it and it improved my gas mileage big time.

jlord9485 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS

I couldnt find the two tubes on the intake manifold floor...is there any way you could post pictures or anything?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.