Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  rlowe228 
#1 ·
Hey again. I think its about time for my 1993 caddy deville (4.9) to get a tune up its my first car and im just now getting into really caring for it. I dont think its had any maintenence for the past 3-4 years atleast. and it sat around without being drivin for 6 months (previous owner). its got 114,XXX miles on it so I figured it was time to replace all the stuff that.. your supposed to? heh..

I plan on doing everything myself, if thats possible. I just need to know what all to do.

from what I know so far I need:
-fuel filter
-sparkplugs
-sparkplug wires?
-flush cooling system.

I already changed the oil and air filter so that doesnt need to be done. also what can I expect from doing all this (performance wise) especially since it hasnt really been taken care of for awhile.

#2 ·
Re: time for a tuneup... whats involved?

You will want to clean the throttle body and the EGR tubes under the throttle plates. Do a search here on those they have been discussed at great length.

Does your 93 have a distributor or modular ignition? If distributor, you will want to replace the cap and rotor.

Take your time and do a good job. You should expect the engine to run smoothly and will likely notice an increase in power/accelleration/economy.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

#3 ·

hmmm oh yeah, I sprayed some of that carb cleaner in the thing make it all shiney... do I need to go into more detail than that?

yeah its got a cap and rotor...

-fuel filter
-sparkplugs
-sparkplug wires
-flush cooling system
-cap and rotor

this all?

#4 ·

aliens8mydad said:
hmmm oh yeah, I sprayed some of that carb cleaner in the thing make it all shiney... do I need to go into more detail than that?

yeah its got a cap and rotor...

-fuel filter
-sparkplugs
-sparkplug wires
-flush cooling system
-cap and rotor

this all?
Yes, do a search here on cleaning the throttle body and the EGR tubes and follow *********'s instructions completely and you will be happy with the results. ;)

#7 ·
Replace the plugs, inspect the wires and cap. Replace the distributor rotor. Clean the throttle body.

I can't remember the fuel filter # but replace that and the air filter.

If you just changed the oil filter without the oil, you will need to change the oil and filter together. Use Rotella T 15W40 oil with an AC/Delco filter. (see related posts on this forum)

Have the cooling system professionally flushed. Use the GM pellets #3634621. The cooling system flushers do a much better job than just draining and refilling, or sticking a garden hose in the system. And the old coolant is properly disposed of. This should be done on a bi-annual basis. No exceptions.

The 4.9 is a very good engine, and will run a long time if properly maintained.

Mike

#8 ·
hey man,

did they eat ur mom too??? j/k :)

get an o2 sensor, serp belt, thermostat(if ur gonna flush coolant. dont forget barks leak tabs). You may want to drop the trans pan and change the filter and fill her up with som fresh fluid. also may want to flush the power steering fluid.

#9 ·
Hey,

:yup: Change the PCV valve to.. Its located under the plastic Cover on the front of the engine youll notice it when your changing the front spark plug wires. That should increase your MPG. Its simple to change just pull it from the valve cover take off the tube and put back in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.