BARO on 4.9?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, BARO on 4.9? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I used to own an 83 Eldorado with 4.1L engine. It had a BARO sensor. Well, here is my question: ...
    100 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)

BARO on 4.9?

I used to own an 83 Eldorado with 4.1L engine. It had a BARO sensor.

Well, here is my question: now I have a 95 Sedan DeVille with 4.9L. Does it have a BARO, too? I can't find any description about the BARO for 4.9L.

Maybe it is not in...

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: BARO on 4.9?

It uses barometer but uses a "baro-less" computer routine to approximate the barometric pressure based on the MAP sensor readings. By doing this the barometric pressure sensor could be eliminated for improved cost and reliability...nothing to go wrong with the sensor if it isn't on board anymore.

When the key is turned on the moment before the engine starts to crank the manifold absolute pressure is the same as the barometric pressure. When the engine is shut down there is no flow and no pressure drop across the throttle blades so the MAP is reading baro. The "baro-less" barometer algorithm grabs the MAP reading when the engine RPM is zero and uses that for the baro term in the calculations. When the engine is running and the throttle is opened far enough to eliminate and "throttling" the MAP will now be reading the barometric pressure again....theoretically. IF there is no throttling across the throttle blades then the MAP = Baro minus the slight drop across the air induction system. There is a second part to the baroless routine that allows the baro to update using the MAP value minus a preset pressure drop term that is looked up from a table of RPM. The logic allows the baro to update regularily as the car gains altitude as it is climbing so the chances of a deep enough throttle movement to update the baro is highly likely. There is also logic to always use the highest value for the baro term...whicher is highest the MAP sensor or the baro term previously calculated. This ensures that the baro term will also update descending as if the throttle is opened enough that the MAP is now greater than the stored baro term it will update to the MAP reading as the MAP cannot be higher than the baro, ever...unless the motor is supercharged..LOL.

There is a lot more logic in the baroless routine but that is basically how the car knows the barometer reading without a baro sensor. Most vehicles built today have a baro sensor again as the more stringent emission regulations do not allow the slight baro errors seen with the baro-less system.

100 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)

Re: BARO on 4.9?

Thanks bbob,

That's a very smart idea to use one pressure sensor to do both jobs! The guy who came up with this idea must be a pretty smart guy.

Now I know why there is no baro sensor in 4.9...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.