84 Eldorado 4.1 V8 (HT4100) "E" engine, M57 tranny, Noise from lower end
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 84 Eldorado 4.1 V8 (HT4100) "E" engine, M57 tranny, Noise from lower end in Cadillac Engine Discussion; Hello everyone. I am a new poster to the forum. I have spent countless hours browsing through almost every archive ...
    mwwebmstr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

84 Eldorado 4.1 V8 (HT4100) "E" engine, M57 tranny, Noise from lower end

Hello everyone. I am a new poster to the forum. I have spent countless hours browsing through almost every archive here. I must say there are some very knowledgable folks out there and I thank you for your input.

Here is my scenario. I recently purchased an Eldorado with 76,000 miles. When the engine begins to warm up I hear what I believe to be a slight knocking or thumping coming from the lower end of the motor. I must admit I would like some definition of "thump" and "knock" because the sound I hear is very close to what I perceive to be a "thunk." I have researched any information I could find on the "main bearing thump" issue and I am wondering if this applies to my specific cadillac (4.1 engine).

The engine appears to be mounted in a standard type fashion although I am uncertain if it is a transverse type or not. The engine doesn't have a serpentine belt so I am also unsure of which belt to remove (accessory belt?) so I can verify if the problem is actually the main bearing thump.

On the recommendation of bbob and others I have used the "golden seal" in my coolantand have changed to a 15W-40 Rotella oil with an added bottle of GM EoS. I cannot speak for the quality of oil or coolant used by the 1 owner before but the records indicate that the vehicle received regular GM/Cadillac maintenance.

A few more points I should include; The car does not have any loss of power or feel sluggish in any way (no more then a 4.1 in a heavy car should) and the computer diagnostics come up clean. I did use a stethiscope to try and locate the sound and my best guess is somewhere from under the crank.

I suspect a rod bearing or main bearing but I would like some input before going further. Besides the noise, the car shifts, runs, and rides like a dream :P

My questions are these:

1) Is this model engine (4.1 "E" Engine, vin code 8) in this car prone to the Main Bearing Thump.

2) Where should I begin in diagnosing this problem. I can recreate the sound if I place the vehicle in drive, hold the brake, and lightly accelerate (place a slight load on the engine) after the car has been driven for a little while.

I thank you in advance for any information you folks can give.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rcirobin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 84 Eldorado 4.1 V8 (HT4100) "E" engine, M57 tranny, Noise from lower end

I had the same noise in my 85 Eldo. I switched to 20W50 oil. Noise is gone, and it has been running just fine for the last 61,000 miles. It now has 158,000 on it......Rob

mwwebmstr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 84 Eldorado 4.1 V8 (HT4100) "E" engine, M57 tranny, Noise from lower end

bump

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.