84 SDV RWD 4.1 Intake gasket
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 84 SDV RWD 4.1 Intake gasket in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Working on a 40,000 mile 1984 RWD SDV 4.1 one-owner. Runs fine, outside of changing the coolant and adding pellets ...
    Spyderb is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Wink 84 SDV RWD 4.1 Intake gasket

Working on a 40,000 mile 1984 RWD SDV 4.1 one-owner. Runs fine, outside of changing the coolant and adding pellets do I need to replace the intake gaskets for preventive maintenance? Should I replace the water pump? Does this car have the nylon timing gears? How much time would this take approximately? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: 84 SDV RWD 4.1 Intake gasket

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderb
    Working on a 40,000 mile 1984 RWD SDV 4.1 one-owner. Runs fine, outside of changing the coolant and adding pellets do I need to replace the intake gaskets for preventive maintenance? Should I replace the water pump? Does this car have the nylon timing gears? How much time would this take approximately? Thanks in advance for the help.

Yes, it has a nylon timing gear. I always trust those for 100K or 10 years...whichever comes first. If you plan on driving it for awhile I would replace the timing gear as a matter of preventive maintenance.

The intake gaskets are a toss up. If the system is not loosing coolant and you have fresh coolant and the coolant supplement in the system then it should be fine....but it is an easy thing to do (replace the intake gaskets) if you are going to do the timing gear anyway.

SolidGoldsteen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Congrats on your new car. Sounds nice!

I just bought the same car in Yellow with tan leather.

Your question brings up some things I'm wondering about:

1. Am I coming up on any major service needs if I'm near 40K?

2. 4.1 L

3. Nylon cam gear? Is this a non-interference or interference engine?

Thamks Bbob! I will change the coolant and add the pellents immediately. What would you estimate the time for the timimg gears and gasket? Thanks again

SolidGoldsteen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

ThaMks YOU for asking, kid...

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

If the timing chain or the timing gear fails valves can hit the pistons. There are very few true "free spin" engines in the world. Many can miss hitting parts if the timing is only off by a few teeth or so but not many can stop a valve at max lift and always miss the piston....

My thanks to bbob to answering my question and educating us on the things to do. I look forward to reading all his advisories and opinions

ps. When I pull it I'll post the inspection.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.