HELP!! 91 Eldo stalling problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, HELP!! 91 Eldo stalling problem in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; OK, so i'm driving and the car shuts off/stalls. when i restart i sometimes make it 100 yards, sometimes several ...
    kingdavid is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question HELP!! 91 Eldo stalling problem

OK, so i'm driving and the car shuts off/stalls. when i restart i sometimes make it 100 yards, sometimes several miles before it stalls again. Usually it doesn't sputter it just shuts down as if i turned the key off. I replaced the ignition because when i wiggled the key the dash lights came on and off. After replacing it, the car still is stalling. I'm thinking about replacing the fuel pump,fuel filter, and pcv valve next. Any thoughts? Since it's not sputtering i'm doubting it's filter related. fuel pump, i dunno, the car will start and run for an hour without stalling, then when i go out for a spin, it will stall. maybe fuel pressure is dropping cuz the pump is wearing out? Is there a heat sink on the pump since it's in the tank? If so, maybe the pumps heating up and shutting itself off. I'm lookin' fer some thoughts!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Re: HELP!! 91 Eldo stalling problem

Quote Originally Posted by kingdavid
    OK, so i'm driving and the car shuts off/stalls. when i restart i sometimes make it 100 yards, sometimes several miles before it stalls again. Usually it doesn't sputter it just shuts down as if i turned the key off. I replaced the ignition because when i wiggled the key the dash lights came on and off. After replacing it, the car still is stalling. I'm thinking about replacing the fuel pump,fuel filter, and pcv valve next. Any thoughts? Since it's not sputtering i'm doubting it's filter related. fuel pump, i dunno, the car will start and run for an hour without stalling, then when i go out for a spin, it will stall. maybe fuel pressure is dropping cuz the pump is wearing out? Is there a heat sink on the pump since it's in the tank? If so, maybe the pumps heating up and shutting itself off. I'm lookin' fer some thoughts!!
    Have you ran a code check? Do that before you spend oodles of cash.

Also, there is a sticky thread st the top of this forum that will tell you how to run and read the codes. Retrieve the codes and report back here.

Oh, by the way

Hey! Thanks for the welcome!I worked for Cadillac for 15 years in the aftermarket arena so I have been and always be a "Cadillac Man"!

I ran the codes. (I think I did it right) Came up with EO 53, EO 52, EO 91, B-120,B-121, RO 33, and B 552. After that I think I got lost on where to go next, so I shut down. I don't know how long it's been since the codes have been cleared. I'm thinking about clearing them, and then seeing what comes back. Some of the codes seem to refer to disconnecting the battery, replacing the ignition, etc. but I wasn't learned enough to discern much more!

ANY help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

David

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Quote Originally Posted by kingdavid
    Hey! Thanks for the welcome!I worked for Cadillac for 15 years in the aftermarket arena so I have been and always be a "Cadillac Man"!

I ran the codes. (I think I did it right) Came up with EO 53, EO 52, EO 91, B-120,B-121, RO 33, and B 552. After that I think I got lost on where to go next, so I shut down. I don't know how long it's been since the codes have been cleared. I'm thinking about clearing them, and then seeing what comes back. Some of the codes seem to refer to disconnecting the battery, replacing the ignition, etc. but I wasn't learned enough to discern much more!

ANY help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

David
    The codes to be concerned with are the 53 and 91 codes. The 91 code is a neutral safety switch problem. That item will need replaced.

The 53 problem seems to be either bad wiring connections within the distributor or a bad pick-up coil.

Strange enough, both may cause a stall issue when driving. I would look into both. I would tell you how to do them right now, but I have to get to class and take a damned test I'll help out late if I can or someone else will give a hand.

Hey, Thanks for the info!! I'll replace the neutral safety switch & I'll look into the distributor/pick up coil problem.

David

Well, I checked the linkage adjustment and the car will start in P or N , but don't have a voltmeter to see if the Neutral safety switch is putting out volts. The darned thing will start every time and I sat in it with the car in gear/foot on brake for 5 minutes wirh no problems. I wanted to take it for a hot lap to see if it would stall but didn't have a way to tow it back home today if it stalled. ARRGHHH!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.