4.9 oil pump in 4.5?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 oil pump in 4.5? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Are they the same motors except one is stroked and PFI instead of TBI? Would it work??...
    Formula94lt1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

4.9 oil pump in 4.5?

Are they the same motors except one is stroked and PFI instead of TBI? Would it work??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: 4.9 oil pump in 4.5?

"Are they the same motors except one is stroked and PFI instead of TBI?" Yes and no. There are differences in the crank, rods and pistons. The heads are also different. The motors are the same family and same construction and such but there are detail differences in the specific parts between the years.

"Would it work??" Yes, the oil pump, that is.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

All years of 4.5? I though the 90 4.5 and the 89 4.5 were significantly different.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH
    All years of 4.5? I though the 90 4.5 and the 89 4.5 were significantly different.
    You are correct... See corrections in edited post above. The oil pump will interchange which is what the main question was.

The 89 4.5 was a TBI engine.

The 90 4.5 was the same bore and stroke but the 90 was PFI and had a light weight piston/rod assembly and as a result the crank was balanced differently. The 90 cylinder heads had very different intake ports compared to the ports on the 89. With the PFI, the intake manifold was quite different. The oil pump will interchange , though.

From the posters question he mentioned the 4.5 and 4.9 and PFI so I was answering in respect to comparing a 90 4.5 to a 91-95 4.9 only. Should have been more specific.

Thanks, just one more question after reading the replies... Can you swap the 90 4.5 pfI or any 4.9 top end, intake heads and throttle body onto an 89 and older 4.5 block?

Also say you did put the 4.9 top end on an older TBI 4.5... could you still mount the TBI setup back onto the PFI intake?

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

I found a pretty indepth article going over the differences in all the HT series engines. I wish I knew where it was. Can someone post it if they find it?

I am confident I found it on CadillacForums.com, somewhere....

That would help a lot, thanks if anyone can find it...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.