Deville runs rough under 11 gallons of gas
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Deville runs rough under 11 gallons of gas in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; What else do I need to say other than my 93 deville runs rough under 11 gallons of gas. It ...
    joecpwr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Deville runs rough under 11 gallons of gas

What else do I need to say other than my 93 deville runs rough under 11 gallons of gas. It has done this ever since I bought it 6 months ago at 84,000 miles. I now have 102,000 miles on it. Needless to say I bought it because I spend alot of time driving. I thought I could live with until my last trip...way too many stops to fill up.
    I've tried "Heet" and other additives thinking that there was moisture in the line somewhere but nothing has effected my problem.
    Whenever I have enough gas she runs AWESOME....
    Anyone ever experience this on a Caddy or other GM?
    Thanks -
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Deville runs rough under 11 gallons of gas

Quote Originally Posted by joecpwr
    What else do I need to say other than my 93 deville runs rough under 11 gallons of gas. It has done this ever since I bought it 6 months ago at 84,000 miles. I now have 102,000 miles on it. Needless to say I bought it because I spend alot of time driving. I thought I could live with until my last trip...way too many stops to fill up.
    I've tried "Heet" and other additives thinking that there was moisture in the line somewhere but nothing has effected my problem.
    Whenever I have enough gas she runs AWESOME....
    Anyone ever experience this on a Caddy or other GM?
    Thanks -
    The only thing that is coming up in my mind is the octane your using might effect it

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre
    My guess is that maybe there's something wrong with pickup or the pump that's in the tank.

A friend of mine had a Sedan DeVille and a Fleetwood like that and he had some problems sort of like that too. I forget if it was just one of the cars or both that did it.

joecpwr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

JJhomer83 - Octane

I don't think th octane is an issue - it runs fabulous, flawless, it purrs like kitten and screams like an ape until I get down to about 11 gallons. After that it is no good.

I'm thinking 'bad' gas would effect it all the time.

I will add this, the less fuel there is the worse it gets.

At about 5 gallons it has trouble starting and at less than the motor has died at stop lights.

Brougham mentioned the fuel pump or pickup in the tank. I have been thinking that also, I just have no experience with this problem nor do I have any experience with gas tanks and fuel pumps.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: JJhomer83 - Octane

The tank issue is VERY common on these cars.......

Most of the time it happens when the tank is below half and especially bad when going on turns.......

There is a restyled tank that prevents this.....

My advice would be to replace the tank, the pump, and the fuel filter....... That should take care of it.!!!!!!

Shoehorn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Also, the modern electric fuel pumps that are in the tank actually use the gas in the tank to dissipate heat. Perhaps the pump is overheating after the fuel level drops to a point where it is no longer submerged.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.